Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Prospective Students

If you can’t find answers here, contact the Educational Technology Department Office at (208) 426-1966 or

Who can I ask to find out if my transcripts have arrived?

You can find the answer yourself at When you’ve logged-into my.BoiseState, go into your Student Center and look for a blue box on the right side of the screen. It is labeled To-Do List. If the box is empty, your transcripts have arrived. If the box is not empty, click on the links until you see which school is lagging.

I haven’t heard anything about being accepted yet. Who can I ask about the status of my application?

If the To-Do box in your student center is empty, ask yourself if you have submitted your application essay and program development form to If your To-Do box is empty and if you’ve submitted the essay and course schedule form, then contact Dixie Conner in our department at 619-750-5450,

Is this program accredited?

Certainly. We are accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, one of the six regional accrediting agencies authorized by the U.S. Department of Education. Further, the College of Education is fully accredited by NCATE, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. Our program is in full alignment with AECT Standards for programs in instructional design, as well.

What kind of master’s degrees does this program offer?

Our students can earn one of two master’s degrees, an MS (Masters of Science in Educational Technology) or an MET (Masters in Educational Technology).

How long does it take to complete this program?

Most students are working full time and take six credits (two courses) each semester and finish in about two years.

How long can I take to finish this program?

As long as seven years.

How many credits are required in this master’s program?

33 semester credits

Is the GRE required?

We offer two degrees, a Master of Science in Educational Technology (MS) and a Master of Educational Technology (MET). The GRE is not required for either program.

What kind of GPA is required for admission?

We require a minimum GPA of 3.0 but we sometimes admit students with lower scores on a 12-credit provisional basis. Provisional students who earn a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0 in those first four courses are invited to continue working toward a master’s degree.

Are there any residency requirements?

No. All classes are delivered online. Students never have to leave home to earn an Educational Technology degree at Boise State.

Can I go at my own pace?

No. All students are in highly interactive classes in which assignments are generally due weekly. However, which day that you do your work, or which hour of the day (or night) that you do your work is entirely up to you.

Do I have to write a thesis?

Only if you are in the MS degree program. MET students complete a digital portfolio to demonstrate competency.

Can I take classes before I am accepted into the master’s program?

This question has two answers. (A): Transcripts sometimes take a long time to arrive, so the Graduate Admissions Office allows degree-seeking students one semester of grace. (B): Non-degree-seeking students may complete as many credits as they’d like but a maximum of 9 credit hours can be taken outside a master’s program and transferred in—whether those credits were earned elsewhere or in the EdTech Department at Boise State. We welcome students who want to take just one class to fulfill an elective in a master’s program at another institution.

If I earn one of the graduate certificates and then decide to pursue a master’s degree, will my certificate credits apply to the master’s degree?

Absolutely, as long as your coursework has been completed within the last seven years.

Does my degree have to be in education, and do I have to be a certificated teacher to apply for the master’s program?

No. Most of our students are K-12 teachers, but others work in higher education, educational agencies, or educational organizations. Some students are seeking career changes, and may be working from home while raising children. All we ask is that you have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.

Do I have to buy a computer to complete this program?

No, but you need ready access to one, and a broadband internet connection is strongly recommended.

What are the employment opportunities for teachers with master’s degrees in Educational Technology?

Depending on your concentration, you will develop expertise in instructional design, online teaching, school technology coordination, technology integration into the classroom, and more. Our students work in K-12 and higher education settings, or in e-learning corporations. See our Jobs section for more information.

Is financial aid available?

Sure. The federal student loan program provides the funding for master’s degree students. Financial aid is not available for graduate certificates alone, but will be provided if a student enrolls simultaneously in a certificate and master’s program.

Can I transfer graduate credit from another university to meet my degree requirements?

We can accept nine semester credits from accredited institutions if the credits are five year or newer and are full-fee academic credits, as opposed to professional development credits. In other words, if the credits could have been applied toward a master’s degree at the granting institution, we would likely accept them. But frankly, we’d rather not because our rich selection of electives sets us apart as the most innovative EdTech program in America. Talk it over with your admissions adviser. If you decide to transfer courses, submit course titles and descriptions. We will also require a syllabus for each. Digital copies are preferred. These transfer credits will be evaluated for acceptance as part of your admissions packet.

If I apply to the master’s program, can I also earn a graduate certificate?

Yes, but only if you apply before finishing your first course in the certificate program. We strongly recommend ALL of our masters students to simultaneously enroll in a graduate certificate. There are no extra fees or time required to complete both programs. Check with your admissions adviser.

Disability Accommodations

I need special accommodations due to a disability. What do I need to do to be sure I can fully participate in my classes?

Students with federally recognized disabilities who need special accommodations to fully participate in classes should contact the Educational Access Center (EAC). All accommodations must be approved through the EAC Center prior to being implemented. To learn more about the accommodation process, visit the EAC’s website at or via email at Phone: 208-426-1583.

Back To Top