TRIO STEM Scholar Tabarak Alomar Heads to Medical School

Tabark Alomar standing outside in front of a tree
TRIO STEM Scholar Graduate, Tabarak Alomar

The TRIO STEM Scholars Program who like to say a huge congratulations to Tabarak Alomar who will begin her medical school journey this month at the University of Washington School of Medicine! Tabarak graduated from Boise State this year with a B.S. in Biology with the goal of going on to become a Physician.

Tabarak came to the United States with her family in 2008 as refugees from Iraq. She is a soon-to-be mother of two who has dreamed of becoming a doctor from a young age.

We spoke with Tabarak about her life, education, and her journey to become a Physician.

What have been the big influences and values in your life?

“My goal since I was a young girl was to become a physician. And here finally I was offered an acceptance to the University of Washington School of Medicine. My family has been a big influence in my life. I always look up to them and trust everything they say to me. Understanding that they have sacrificed so much for me and my siblings having to leave their family, friends and careers for the safety of our lives. I will never forget the hard moments that I saw my family go through, which makes me a stronger person who is willing to go through so much to achieve my goal and family goal.”

What was the medical school process like? How did you manage your nervousness and anxiety throughout the process? Do you have any helpful tips for future students about the process? 

“The process for medical school isn’t easy, it’s long! It requires preparation from writing many personal essays and preparing for exams. Anxiety was there throughout the process, but I was able to manage it by focusing on doing things I enjoy instead of just waiting to hear back. I made the time to practice well do lots of mock interviews that helped prepare me for the interview process.”

“A Helpful tip for students is to be prepared for each step. Write your essays and don’t make it a last minute thing. And as for interview prep, practice, practice, practice. You will see yourself rocking the interview and feel confident in your interview.”

What advice can you give students who want to follow your footsteps and go to medical school? 

“The medical path isn’t easy and short. It requires resiliency and trust in both yourself and those around you. Being able to have the right people around you who are willing to help you through this long path is important. And an important point every student should consider is to believe in themselves especially if that’s what they see themselves doing and it’s their destiny to save people’s lives.”

How did Boise State and TRIO STEM Scholars prepare you for medical school?

“Boise State and specifically TRIO STEM prepared me well to be a successful student and prepared me to undergo the processes in order to achieve what I want. Being able to have multiple advisors was super beneficial for me. Getting feedback from my advisors helped me improve my skills to continue excelling in college.”

What extracurricular activities did you do and how did they shape your learning in your undergraduate degree? 

“I was part of the PLASMA research with Dr. Ken Cornell and worked with him for almost two years. I also worked with St. Luke’s Women and Children’s department as a Work U intern.

I worked with Genesis Community Health and the Red Cross for Restoring Family Links program where I was able to help the underserved community here in Idaho.”

Tabarak Alomar in cap and gown holding dipolma
Tabarak Alomar at Graduation