Fall 2020 CARES Act HEER Fund Distribution
The Department of Education defined the eligibility for CARES Act HEER funds as:
- Title IV eligible as defined in Section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965; including, Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Enrollment in a ground-based program on March 13, 2020
Based on this criteria 6,793 students were eligible to receive CARES Act HEER funding. Boise State University utilized the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) derived from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine the distribution plan. While a large number of students were financially impacted in a variety of ways, it was determined that those with the lowest income were the least financially prepared to overcome those impacts. Therefore, funds were distributed to eligible students with an EFC up to $10,000. Students with higher EFCs were issued funding if the secondary application was submitted by September 9, 2020.
Boise State University included additional criteria when determining eligibility and distribution of CARES Act HEER funds for summer semester:
- Currently enrolled in the fall semester, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students not enrolled in an exclusively online program (on March 13, 2020).
- At least half time enrollment in Boise State credits (UGRD = 6; GRAD = 5)
- Title IV eligible as determined by the FAFSA
- Meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Have an official expected family contribution (EFC) between $0 – $10,000 or completed the secondary application by September 9
- Not receiving a senior citizen or faculty/staff/dependent waiver
- Incurred unanticipated COVID-19 related expenses including, for example, additional childcare, technology or moving expenses.
As of December 16, 2020, Boise State University issued $1,428,583 in CARES Act HEER funds to 3,572 students enrolled at least half time in the fall semester. Please note: 3,570 students received $400 each, one student received $258, and another student received $325.
The following communication was sent to CARES Act HEERF recipients via BroncoMail: CARES Email