Skip to main content

IRS Verification of Nonfiling Letter: How To Request

If we are requesting a tax transcript for verification or any other reason, but you, your spouse, or your parent(s) did not file taxes with the IRS, you will need to request a Verification of Non-filing Letter. This is a transcript from the IRS that states that the IRS has no record of a processed Form 1040-series tax return as of the date of the request. It doesn’t indicate whether you are required to file a return for that year. This letter is available after June 15 for the current tax year or anytime for the prior three tax years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T. Use Form 4506-T if you need a letter for older tax years.

More information at

Request Online to Download

While this is the quickest method to obtain any IRS transcript, security verification is more rigorous. You must have a bank account, credit card, etc. to verify as well as a cell phone account in your name.

  1. Visit the IRS Get Transcript website.
  2. Select “Get Transcript Online.
  3. Sign in using your account or set one up.
  4. Select “Higher Education/Student Aid” for the reason you are requesting a transcript.
  5. Leave the Customer File Number blank.
  6. Proceed to the “Verification of Non-filing Letter” section and click on the proper tax year that we are requesting.
  7. Download and save or print to turn into to the Financial Aid Office.

Reminder: We cannot accept any documents with social security numbers via email. Please either redact the first five numbers if attaching them to an email, submit them in person, or mail them to our office to keep them secure. 

Request Online to Receive by Mail

  1. Visit the IRS Get Transcript website.
  2. If requesting by mail, select “Get Transcript by Mail.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions and enter your social security number, date of birth, street address, and postal/ZIP code.
  4. Select the “Verification of Non-filing Letter” for your transcript type, select the proper tax year that we are requesting, and leave the Customer File Number blank.
  5. Click continue and you should receive a confirmation message that they are processing your request.

What to do if you cannot set up an IRS account:

  1. Make an appointment with your local IRS office and request a Verification of Non-filing Letter be printed for you.
  2. If you do not live in close vicinity to an IRS office, you will need to mail or fax a Form 4506-T to the IRS.
    • Please fill it out completely and mail or fax it to the appropriate location based on your state of residency.

If you have not received a letter by mail in 10 business days:

If 10 business days have passed since you have mailed/faxed the Form 4506-T and you have not received the letter from the IRS in the mail, then you can submit a supplemental, detailed statement.

The statement would need to include:

  • An assertation that you attempted but were unable to get the letter from the IRS (make sure you tried to get it by mailing/faxing the Form 4506-T), including the day you mailed it.
  • Confirmation that you did not file taxes for the specific year we are asking for.
  • Confirmation of the income you reported on your Boise State Non-Filing form.
  • A handwritten signature made with a pen, stylus, or mouse. Typed signatures will not be accepted.