Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Which courses count towards the pre-requisites?

Choose the biology, chemistry, genetics, etc. courses that are required for biology or pre-med majors. Biochemistry should be an upper division course and separate from any other course. Most psychology courses and introductory statistics or biostatistics course are acceptable.

Are online courses acceptable?

Yes as long as the courses are offered at an accredited university or college.

Do all pre-requisites need to be completed before submitting an application?

Because we will need to see your grades in the biochemistry and genetics courses, those need to be completed before submitting an application.

When can I apply?

Applications will open September 1st.

Do I have to be vaccinated for Covid-19?

Students at Boise State are not required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to enroll and attend classes. However, most of our partner hospitals and clinic sites where required fieldwork is completed, are requiring students to be fully vaccinated in order to participate in fieldwork (clinical rotations). Some sites are accepting medical/religious exemptions for students; others require students to be fully vaccinated and will not accept exemptions. This is a decision made by the hospitals/clinics and Boise State has no control over this, especially when the sites are operating under state vaccine mandates.
We will try to accommodate students with exemptions by matching them with clinical rotations at sites that do not require students to be fully immunized against COVID-19. We cannot guarantee this will be possible. Please be aware that many hospitals are currently changing their requirements (for example, some that have previously allowed exemptions are now requiring full immunization) and there can be no guarantee that there will be sufficient availability of clinical sites that allow exemptions by the time students begin their fieldwork component. This could result in delays in being able to complete program requirements and graduating.

Can international students apply?

Due to U.S. Homeland Security regulations and our online program structure, we are regretfully unable to provide F-1 student visa paperwork to international students for this degree program. International students who are currently residing in the US on a visa other than an F-1 visa should check to see if their current visa allows for participation in our program. Please note that international students cannot participate in our program on a tourist visa.

Please contact International Admissions before submitting your application if you are unsure about your eligibility to study in this program. International Student and Scholar Services.

Eligible international applicants must complete the application requirements as outlined by the Graduate College, International Admissions office, and MSGC program. For more information on these requirements, please visit the below pages:

*Prospective applicants who are U.S. citizens, but are working outside the U.S. must apply as a domestic student.

Can students from any state apply?

Yes. We will accept applications from all 50 states in the US.

Will transfer courses be accepted?

Not at this time.

How many students will be invited for an interview?


How many students are accepted?


Do I need to reapply every year?


Does the program allow for part-time status?

Not at this time.

Does the program offer any scholarships, graduate assistantships, or work study?

The MSGC Program offers the Saint Alphonsus Health System/Trinity Health Genetic Counseling Award. This need based scholarship is for all students with a 3.0 GPA or higher, an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $15,000.00 or less, and enrollment in the MSGC Program. The disbursement amount per year varies based on the number of students who qualify (max of $2000). Students can apply for the scholarship in the second year.  Additionally, students are eligible for financial aid. For more information on Financial Aid, please contact Boise State’s Financial Aid Office or the Federal Student Aid website.

Will I be able to work during the program?

This program is full time enrollment with an estimated required time commitment of at least 30 hours per week. The curriculum is delivered primarily in an asynchronous format which means you have flexibility to access the content and complete assignments at your discretion but within the due dates. Group work and partner work is common so you will need to be able to coordinate your schedule accordingly.

Can I transfer to a local program for the second year to do fieldwork?