Skip to main content

Overview H-1B Employment Visa

Aerial picture Boise State campus

Boise State University sponsors H-1B visas for on-campus, full time, long-term academic positions such as tenure-track faculty. Other long-term, permanent staff positions may be supported if they require a specialty bachelor’s degree.  Other visa categories, particularly F-1 OPT, should be utilized where possible.

H-1B temporary worker immigration status is for individuals coming temporarily to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. The H-1B is an employer-sponsored immigration status. It is employer-specific, job-specific, and location-specific. If the employer, job or job location change then a new H-1B petition may be needed.

H-1B Overview


The information contained in this web site is provided as a service to the international students, faculty, staff, employees and administrators of Boise State University, and does not constitute legal advice, including legal advice regarding any immigration, tax or other matter. We make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this web site or any associated site which is provided for general information purposes only. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Neither Boise State University nor the Center for Global Engagement is responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this website, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.