Deferring Your Undergraduate Admission
Admitted international undergraduate students seeking to change the term of their application can do so by submitting our deferment request form. If eligible, deferring allows you to delay your admission to a later starting semester.
Incoming international undergraduate students may move their application or admission forward to an adjacent semester (deadlines apply). Students may only change semesters once per application. Students who have their deferment request denied or voided are encouraged to re-apply for admission.
Please consider emailing the International Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options for switching semesters before completing a deferment form.
Before you begin
Before beginning the deferment form, please note the following:
- If you are changing your status from non-degree to degree-seeking, please do not use this form. Instead, complete a new application for admission.
- An approved deferral request only applies to your general admission to the university. Direct admission to academic majors, programs with advanced standing, or placement by exam or audition will be determined by the individual department/program. We recommend contacting your department/program prior to requesting a deferment.
- If you are deferring your offer of admission and have already been issued immigration paperwork to apply for a student visa, a new I-20 or DS-2019 will be required. We may require updated proof of finances in order to issue new immigration paperwork.
- Scholarships are non-deferrable. Moving your admission to a new semester will cancel any scholarships that you have been awarded. You will then be re-evaluated for scholarships based on your new semester’s scholarship criteria, scholarship deadlines, and the academic information we have on file for you at the time of scholarship review. If you have applied for a Global Scholarship, you must submit a new scholarship application for your updated term of admission.
- Housing assignments are non-deferrable. Moving your admission to a new semester will cancel your on-campus housing application. If you have applied for housing, be sure to visit the Housing and Residence Life website to understand the fees associated with canceling your application and the process for submitting a new one.
- Semesters may only be changed once per application. If you wish to move your application or admission again, a new application for admission will be required.
- Applications or offers of admission may only be deferred to the adjacent semester (e.g., Fall 2023 to Spring 2024; Spring 2024 to Fall 2024). Boise State does not offer a summer semester start option for international students.
- Denied students are ineligible for a deferral.
- If you are currently enrolled, all of your courses must be dropped before requesting a deferral of your admission.
Deferral Request Deadlines
Fall 2023 applicants may request a deferral of admission to the Spring 2024 semester until August 27, 2023.
Spring 2024 applicants may request a deferral of admission to the Fall 2024 semester until January 17, 2024.