Skip to main content

Exchange Students

Welcome to Boise State University! We are glad you have selected Boise State for your student exchange experience. This page is for international exchange students on J1 exchange visitor visas who are not seeking a degree from Boise State.

Incoming Exchange Student information

During your exchange, the Center for Global Engagement will assist you in registering for classes, arranging housing, completing immigration paperwork, and getting involved and adjusted to the American culture. Below you will find helpful information.

J-1 Visa & Arrival Information

You will need a form called a DS-2019 to apply for your J-1 visa stamp in your passport. The DS-2019 will be issued by the International Admissions Office as part of your student admission process to Boise State University.

The easiest place to apply for your visa is at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country or the country in which you are living. We recommend that you apply for your visa as early as you can. You can enter the U.S. 30 days before the start date on your DS-2019.

More information on the J-1 visa process