Skip to main content

J-1 Visa and Arrival Information

The Exchange Visitor Program is designed to bring international students and scholars to the United States for a variety of educational and cultural exchange purposes using the J-1 exchange visa. The purpose of the J-1 visa is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges.

U.S. State Department J-1 Visa Information

Visa Application Process

Entering the U.S.

You can enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date on your DS-2019. When you first enter the U.S. the immigration official may ask you some questions to make sure that you are planning to attend Boise State University. Although you have a J-1 visa, the immigration official will do another check of all your documents so please make sure you put these items in your hand luggage so that you can easily present them:

  1. Your passport valid for at least six months
  2. Your original DS-2019
  3. Your J-1 visa
  4. Evidence of financial support (the same documents you used for your visa)

You are expected to enter the U.S. by the start date listed on your DS-2019, which is the first day of orientation. We recommend that you plan to arrive in Boise a few days before that date. If you have visa issuance delays that make this impossible, please contact the International Admissions office immediately, so that we can give you further information.

Arrival Instructions

If you are starting in the Fall semester then remember to submit an Early Arrival Request form if you are living on-campus. International students typically move into the Residence Halls early and must complete this form. If you have not arranged for early arrival housing, you may need to stay in a hotel until housing opens for the semester. For information on hotels, please contact the International Student Services Office.

If you have arranged off-campus housing, you should ensure you are aware of your move-in date and plan to stay in a hotel if it is not available prior to orientation.

All J-1 students must attend International Student Orientation. More information on how to register for International Student Orientation will be sent to admitted students as details are confirmed.

Housing Information for Exchange Students

Additional Resources

U.S. State Department Resources and Information