Skip to main content

F1 and J1 Employment

Gaining work experience can be an important part of your academic program at Boise State University. You have many opportunities to be employed during your time in F-1 or J-1 status, including on-campus work and off-campus academic internships.

All work off-campus requires prior work authorization and must be directly related to your field of study.

F1 Employment Options

It is important to remember that working without the right authorization is a serious violation of your student visa status. It is your responsibility to comply with all regulations that apply to F-1 and J-1 students.

If you have any questions about work authorization then please contact International Student Services in the Center for Global Engagement (

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Academic Internships

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Work after graduation

J1 Employment Options

Employment can be a great way to enrich your student exchange experience. You must have prior authorization through the Center for Global Engagement before you can start working.

J1 Academic Training


Job Search Resources

The Career Center at Boise State University is available to help you explore your career options, make a career plan, gain experience and have a successful job search.

Visit the Career Center