Skip to main content

J-1 Academic Training

Academic Training (AT) is an authorization to work immediately after your J-1 academic program. We call this post-completion AT.

You can also apply for AT to do an off-campus internship during your J-1 academic program. We call this pre-completion AT. If you want to work on-campus during your J-1 academic program then please see our information about working on-campus.

You must have a written job offer to apply for AT and you can’t begin work until AT has been authorized through the Center for Global Engagement.

Photo of a student

Eligibility for AT

  • J-1 status
  • The main purpose in the US is to study (not work)
  • Good academic standing
  • Valid job offer directly related to your field of study in the US
  • Unexpired DS-2019 issued by Boise State University
  • Maintain health insurance throughout the entire period of AT
  • Apply by the appropriate deadlines
  • Exchange students may also require the approval of their home institution

Time Limits & Important Dates

It is important to apply early because AT can only be authorized before your DS-2019 ends. You should submit your completed AT application to CGE at least 2 weeks before your DS-2019 end date.  Any post-completion AT also has to start within 30 days of your DS-2019 program end date.

You are eligible for AT for the same amount of time as your J-1 academic program, up to a maximum of 18 months of AT. For example, if your J-1 program of study is 90 days, then you are eligible for up to 90 days of AT. An exception is available for Ph.D. students, who may qualify for an additional 18 months of post-completion AT, up to a maximum of 36 months of total AT. Please note that other time limits might apply.

Pre-completion AT can be part-time during the semesters of your academic program (up to 20 hours per week), and full-time during the summer.

Any days of AT used during your academic program are deducted from the number of AT days available after your program. This means that part-time AT is deducted as though it was full-time.

Other Important Information

Payment: AT can be paid or unpaid. You may need to show additional financial resources to cover living expenses if your post-completion AT position will not be paid or the salary is low

Health Insurance: You must maintain appropriate health insurance for you and your J2 dependents throughout your study and your AT

Travel outside the US: You must obtain the AT authorization before you leave the US

Contact details: You must continue to update your address and contact information with CGE throughout your AT period

Additional Employment: AT is an employer-specific authorization. If you change jobs then you will need a separate AT authorization before you begin the new job. Although it is possible to change jobs on post-completion AT, you are not allowed any gap between the two positions

Home Residency Requirements: AT and DS-2019 extensions can affect your application for a waiver of the 212(e) home residency requirement

How To Apply for Academic Training

Submit all documents to the Center for Global Education via the Academic Training Request Form at least 2 weeks before your DS-2019 end date, and at least 2 weeks before your anticipated job start date.

Step One: Find a suitable position related to your program of study.

Step Two: Get a letter from your employer, written on official letterhead and with a handwritten signature. The letter should contain the following information

  • Job title
  • Brief description of job duties
  • Brief description of goals and objectives of your training or employment
  • Name, title, and contact information for the supervisor
  • Job site location (full address)
  • Dates of employment (start date and end date)
  • Number of hours per week
  • Compensation information (salary, benefits)

Step Three: Complete the Boise State State Internship application and register for internship credits (required only for pre-completion AT).

How to complete the internship application

Step Four: Complete the AT Academic Advisor Recommendation Form (required for all AT)

Step Five: Gather additional financial support documents (may be required for post-completion AT, especially for unpaid internships)

Step Six: Submit all the required items via the AT Request form

Academic Training Request Form

If you don’t have a Social Security Number (SSN) then you will need to apply for a number after your AT is approved. You will need a support letter from ISS as part of that process.  ISS will then give you detailed instructions on the location of the Social Security Office and how to apply for the number. If you already have an SSN then you do not have to apply for a new one.

Request a support letter for SSN

At the End of Academic Training

At the end of your Academic Training experience you are required to submit an evaluation of your experience, including how you met your goals and objectives.

Submit Final Evaluation