Skip to main content

Graduate Admission FAQ

Have questions about the Graduate College application process? Peruse our frequently asked questions list covering topics such as the application process, transcripts, registration, and post-admission steps. If you have additional questions, please contact the Graduate College at 208-426-GRAD (4723) or toll-free at 1-800-824-7017. You may also contact us via email at

Frequently Asked Questions

Application Questions

How can I make changes to my application once it is submitted?

You are unable to make changes once you have submitted your application. The only items you will have access to update are those related to your application materials for the program. These include things like a resume or statement of purpose.

How do I access my application if I have forgotten my password?

It is important to remember your username and password when creating your account in the application system as Graduate Admissions has no way of retrieving student account information. You may reset your password by selecting the “I forgot my password” link provided on the login screen.

What if I want to apply to a different program than what I submitted my application for?

Because of differing program requirements, a new application will be required if changing departments. If changing from MA to MS or vice versa, within the same department contact Graduate Admissions and we will make the change.

How do I change my recommendation providers?

You may add, edit, and remove a recommendation provider inside your application. You may do this by clicking on the left hand navigation link titled “Recommendations” and following the directions provided.

How do I change my start term?

Contact the Graduate College at 208-426-GRAD (4723) or

I have received notification that my application has been sent to the department for review, but I have not yet completed my program requirements. What now?

Once you have completed all of the necessary requirements for admission into the Graduate College (application fee, transcripts) your application is considered complete with the Graduate Admissions office and will be forwarded on to the department for review. You may still have additional materials to submit to your program.


Do I need to request transcripts if I have graduated from Boise State?

Boise State students will not need to submit Boise State transcripts or any additional transcripts from other institutions unless you have attended the other colleges or universities after you received your degree.

Do I need to send all of my transcripts?

Official transcripts are required for each educational institution you have attended beyond high school.

How do I know if you have received my transcripts and/or test scores?

When Graduate Admissions receives and processes your application a “To Do” checklist will be created for you in your myBoiseState student center. Here Graduate Admissions will list transcripts and test scores which are needed for you to complete your application.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Official transcripts should be requested from each educational institution (excluding Boise State University) you have attended beyond high school. Transcripts may be submitted in the following ways:


Institutions may send official transcripts to:
Boise State University
Graduate College
Riverfront Hall, Room 307
1910 University Dr.
Boise, ID  83725-1110

Electronic Transcripts

Official transcripts may be submitted as a secure PDF through an approved transcript services provider to

Approved Transcript Services:

  • Credentials eScript-Safe (formerly known as Script-Safe International)
  • Credential Solutions TranscriptsNetwork and Transcripts Plus
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Parchment Exchange (formerly known as Docufide and Avow Systems)

An institution may fax your transcript to 208-426-2789. To be considered official, a faxed transcript must:

  1. Be sent directly to the Graduate College from the institution
  2. Be considered an official transcript. It cannot be stamped as “Unofficial” or “Student Copy”
  3. Have a fax header line showing the institution name, fax number, date and time of transmission, and the number of pages.
  4. Be accompanied by a cover sheet showing all of the following information:
    1. Current Date
    2. Name of the institution sending the fax
    3. Sender’s name, fax number and phone number
    4. Your name
    5. Your Boise State Student ID number or the last four digits of your social security number
    6. Description of the document being faxed (Official Transcript)
    7. Number of Pages

At this time, Boise State University cannot accept transcripts faxed from outside the United States as official.

International applicants must submit transcripts to the International Admissions Office.  Click here for more information regarding submitting international transcripts.

Registration Questions

How do I access my new myBoiseState account and email?

Once the Graduate College has processed your application you will be sent an email notifying you that we have received your application. This email contains your student ID number and your email username. To access your email account, go to and click on “Log On.” From there, navigate to “Reset/Create Password” to create your new password. Return to the main page and click “Log On” again. Enter the username provided you were provided with and the password you created.

For email assistance, contact the Help Desk at The Zone at (208) 426-4357 or

How do I see what classes are available?

Students can search for classes on their myBoiseState Student Center. Search for classes help documentation is available on myBoiseState Help.

How do I register for classes?

Before the semester begins, you may add classes to your schedule on myBoiseState account, if there is space available in the class. If a class is full, you may place yourself on a waitlist to enroll in the class if a seat becomes available.  You may continue to add classes after the first day of classroom instruction, up until the deadline appropriate to the session.  Get help registering for classes inside your myBoiseState student center.


Graduate Catalog

A student enrolled in a graduate degree or certificate program may choose to meet the requirements for that program as defined in any annual edition of the Boise State University Graduate Catalog in effect after the student is admitted to the program by the Graduate College. The catalog may not be more than six years old.

How do I change my name?

Take your completed Student Information Update form and proof of change noted on the form to the Registrar’s Office Administration Building, Room 110. If you are a current of former Boise State employee (classified, exempt, student) you must go to Human Resources to make name changes.

How is residency status determined and who can I contact with questions?

When you apply to Boise State University, the Admissions Office determines your status as a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes. For questions about your residency status, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (208) 426-4249 or visit the Residency website.

How many credits can I take as a non-degree seeking student and later apply to a graduate program?

If a student completes courses while in graduate non-degree seeking status, and later applies and is admitted to a graduate program, the responsible academic unit may recommend to the Graduate College that some of the courses completed in graduate non-degree seeking status be applied to the credit requirements of the program. The academic unit may define a maximum number of applicable credits, but the maximum cannon exceed one third of the total credit requirement. All final decisions on the applicability of non-degree credits rest with the Dean of the Graduate College.