On behalf of the SHPEP National Program Office (NPO), we’re pleased to announce that the SHPEP 2021 application is now open!
SHPEP is a free six-week summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions; furthermore, participating students will be awarded a stipend. It will be a 100% virtual experience in summer 2021.
To be eligible for SHPEP, students must:
- Be a high school graduate and currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college.
- Have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5.
- Be a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
- Not have previously participated in SHPEP.
Although curricula and program dates vary by program site, each program participant will have the opportunity to spend the summer exploring a range of health careers, including dentistry, medicine, nursing, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, and public health.
SHPEP offers students a variety of academic and career experiences, including:
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences and quantitative topics.
- Learning and study skills development, including methods of individual and group learning.
- Clinical exposure through virtual health care settings, simulation experiences, and seminars.
- Career development sessions exploring the health professions and the health professions school admissions process, as well as the development of an education plan.
Please visit the website to learn more about the program. If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 1 (866) 587- 6337 (toll-free).
Below are a few resources that will help you learn more about the program:
The application deadline for SHPEP 2021 is Feb. 5!