How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Compliance Investigator, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75891
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Compliance
Responsible for conducting investigations of protected class discrimination and harassment allegations, allegations relating to grants and contracts, allegations of other university policy violations, assisting other compliance areas with investigations, and other matters as needed. Assists in institutional compliance risk assessment, mitigation, and monitoring. Provides support for parties to complaints. Helps facilitate and mediate informal resolutions between parties.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or relevant equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience drafting detailed reports, including careful analysis of evidence and evaluating credibility
- Background in conducting investigations, performing interviews, and engaging in analytical review
- Exhibit a clear understanding of working within higher education
- Strong oral and written communication, analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to generate, cultivate and maintain professional relationships with the local community partners and campus community
- Established history of working and communicating effectively with a diverse group of people
- Demonstrated knowledge of interpreting and applying complex statutes and regulations, especially those applying to nondiscrimination
- Confidence in working independently, making decisions and problem solving
- The demonstrated ability to remain impartial during the course of an investigation
- Knowledge of conflict resolution tactics and trauma informed interviewing strategies
60% of Time the Compliance Investigator, Senior must:
- Conduct investigations into internal, external agency (e.g., EEOC, Idaho Human Rights Commission, Office for Civil Rights) and grantor complaints claiming:
○ Discriminatory practices or treatment alleged to violate University nondiscrimination and anti-harassment policies
○ Violations of nondiscrimination statutes or regulations
○ Other violations of University policies; statutes or regulations; or University contractual obligations
- When applicable, help oversee other Investigators within the office, review investigative reports, and work with external investigators on cases
- Contemporaneously document investigation process, including:
○ Investigation plan
○ Interview notes from complainant, respondent and witnesses
○ Other physical or electronic evidence gathered
- Analyze applicable policies, laws, and/or contractual obligations to determine whether, based on all the evidence gathered in the course of the investigation, a violation has occurred. In the case of a violation, confer with relevant parties to determine appropriate responses, including recommendations for disciplinary action.
- Prepare, written investigation report with findings for review by the Director of Investigations or the VP of University Affairs
- Help facilitate informal resolutions between parties by acting as a mediator
35% of Time the Compliance Investigator, Senior
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Compliance Investigator, Senior
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This position is generally in a normal indoor office setting with minimal noise levels and may involve bending, moving, lifting, and carrying materials that weigh up to 15 pounds.
Not applicable for Compliance Investigator, Senior
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.