Job Standard for Business Operations, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Business Operations, Assistant Director Overview
- Work Type: Non-classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75804
- Pay Grade: P13
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Business Operations
Manage campus facing operations and is responsible for process analysis and improvement, supervision and mentoring of staff and training of customers.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of experience or equivalent, including 3 years managerial
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to multitask and diffuse sensitive situations
- Demonstrative experience in supervisory skills and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience guiding and managing through process improvement
60% of Time the Business Operations, Assistant Director must:
- Partner across all levels of the university by using knowledge and resources in assisting customers with the tools and information they need to meet their own demands such as reporting and training.
- Teach the staff to educate campus users on essential job requirements.
- Responsible for effective communication between each subunit to ensure quality and satisfaction
- Provide new and ongoing training using a variety of media to meet the needs of campus
- Deliver value, balance resources and service levels, allow for efficient processing while maintaining sufficient internal controls and compliance
- Recruit, hire and drive team performance based on strategic requirements
- Empower the staff for operational readiness by developing a culture of cross-departmental training and a commitment to ongoing professional development through continued courses and project participation
- Develop and implement long-term plans that create new opportunities and drive functionality and growth
- Collaborate in defining technology and procedures related to maintaining, updating, and ensuring compliance for ongoing regulation changes
35% of Time the Business Operations, Assistant Director
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Business Operations, Assistant Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Business Operations, Assistant Director
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.