The time has come to choose names for our other two curlews that live on The Long-billed Curlew Area of Critical Environmental Concern near Emmett and Middleton! We’ve already named our pair, Thor and Valkyrie, thanks to Middleton High School.
Now we have a male and a female, EP and CP who still need names. These two are not paired together, but both have nests on the Long-billed Curlew ACEC area.
Students from some Idaho schools have come up with name options for these birds. Let us know your favorite name!
- Emmett High Schoolers chose the names Gem (female) and Canyon (male), named after Gem and Canyon counties
- Trail Wind Elementary students chose the names Sherlock Holmes (male) and Juliet (female–after Romeo and Juliet)
- Students from Borah High School chose the couples names Ben and Jeri or Jack and Jill
- Liberty Elementary 4th-6th graders chose James Bond (for a male–because curlews are sneaky and hard to find like James Bond around their nests) or Sage (for a female since curlews live in sagebrush and there is a lot of sage in Idaho)
- A Sage International School student chose the name Nez (for the female) and Perce (for the male) after the Nez Perce tribe
- 5th grade students from Perrine Elementary voted for the names Colton and Caterina the curlews.
- And 2nd graders from the Barbara Morgan STEM Academy chose Buster (male) and Lemon (female)
Polls are closed! The winning name for CP was Gem. Congrats Emmett High School!
The winning name for EP was Canyon. Congrats Emmett High School!