For both Undergraduate (493) and Graduate (590) Students
Play KINES 493/590 Internship Information (Video)
KINES 493/590 Course Prerequisites:
ATTENTION: Applications for Spring 2022 are due Monday, December 20th 2021
In order for your internship application to be approved, you must provide/meet the following criteria:
- FOR Spring 2022 enrollment: Junior standing (at least 90 credits) and PERM/INST for KINES 493 students only
- *Provide a current unofficial transcript
- *Provide a current CPR/AED certification (Red Cross, American Heart, etc.) – online certifications are acceptable
- *Pass a background check through the background check company CastleBranch, if required by the internship agency/organization. Students who intern with Boise State Athletics will undergo a background check through the Athletics Department and are required to pass in order to participate in their internship.
- *Email these documents to the Undergraduate Internship Coordinator, Kevin Blume (firstname.lastname@example.org) for KINES 493, or to the Graduate Internship Coordinator, Tim Kempf (email@example.com) for KINES 590, before submitting your application. Background check must be completed through CastleBranch, see instructions below.
- Complete the Online Internship Orientation Workshop video and quiz found on the Career Services website (see instructions below)
- Note: Both undergraduate and graduate students who are looking to do an internship with St. Luke’s, St. Alphonsus, or the Boise VA, please contact the Undergraduate Internship Coordinator, Kevin Blume (firstname.lastname@example.org), for both KINES 493 and KINES 590, as soon as possible to learn about the timeline and details for applying.
All internships are subject to approval by the Internship Coordinator. Students are required to get approval of their internship by the Internship Coordinator before they apply. The Internship Coordinator reserves the right to pull any student out of his or her internship based on feedback from the site supervisor. Students are required to adhere to the Boise State Student Code of Conduct. Violations of the Student Code of Conduct can result in removal from the KINES 493/590 internship and/or degree program.
The Internship Coordinator can offer internship ideas and possible locations, but it is the responsibility of the student intern to secure their own internship location. Interns will need to provide the Internship Coordinator with the following information when seeking approval:
-A confirmed site supervisor at the location who will be a point of contact
-The site supervisor name, work phone number, direct work email address, and a brief description of what the internship will involve.
How to Find a KINES 493/590 Internship:
For more information regarding internships, career exploration, and student and professional associations, please visit the Kinesiology Career Resources page.
Please visit the list of KINES 493/590 Internship Leads for potential internship opportunities.
Registration Process for an internship for academic credit
To determine whether or not an opportunity can be considered for academic credit, you must review your opportunity with your department Internship Coordinator. The Internship Coordinator must first evaluate the work that you are doing to ensure that it meets department guidelines and help you decide how many credits the internship should be assigned. Students earn 1 credit for each 45-50 hours of supervised work. A total of 3 internship credits is required for graduation.
Once you have your internship secured and are ready to register for the internship course (KINES 493/590 Internship in Kinesiology) you must complete your application online.
Steps for online application:
- Access the Internship Application for Academic Credit found on-line at the career center’s website at Boise State Career Center. Click on “Gain Experience” then on the right menu bar where it says: Internship Application for Academic Credit Boise State Internships
- Log in using your Boise State username and password.
- To create your application, hit the plus (+) sign next to Internship Application for Academic Credit on the left hand side of the page. Click on the option Create an Application.
- Enter all required information (fields with * are required)
- Hit SUBMIT. (Please note: if you do not have all the information you can hit SAVE and come back to it at another time; remember it is not submitted until you hit SUBMIT)
- Once submitted, the application will be routed to the department internship coordinator for approval – he/she will get an email notification asking them to approve your internship
- Once approved by department internship coordinator, it will then be routed to your organization supervisor for approval via email
- Once approved by the organization supervisor, it will be routed via email to the Registrar’s Office and the approved internship course will be added to your class schedule in my.Boisestate.
- PLEASE NOTE: You will not be registered for your internship course until your department internship coordinator and organization supervisor approve your internship application
Complete On-Line Orientation Workshop
As part of doing an internship for academic credit, you are required to complete a very short on-line orientation workshop and quiz prior to beginning your internship. To complete the workshop and quiz the instructions are as follows:
Steps for online orientation workshop:
- Access the Internship Application for Academic Credit found on-line at the career center’s website at Boise State Career Center. Then click on the bottom right hand side where it says: Internship Application for Academic Credit Boise State Internships
- Log in using your Boise State username and password.
- On the left hand side you will see Internship Application for Academic Credit (+)
- Click on the + side
- Click on view on-line orientation workshop it’s a short YouTube video
- After completion of viewing the orientation video you will be prompted to take a quiz
- Complete 10 question quiz and submit, you may also print your quiz
Instructions on how to order:
Before ordering a background check, student interns must check with the secured internship agency/organization to determine if a background check is required. If a background check is required, students need to follow the internship agency/organization’s instructions for completing the background check. Below are instructions for completing a background check through CastleBranch, Boise State’s preferred background check company.
- Go to CastleBranch’s website
- In the upper right hand corner, enter the package code BO89
Boise State University Kinesiology Dept. has partnered with CastleBranch, one of the top ten background check and compliance management companies in the nation to provide you a secure account to manage your time sensitive school and clinical requirements.
After you complete the order process and create your account, you can log in to your account to monitor your order status, view your results, respond to alerts, and complete your requirements. You will return to your account by logging into castlebranch.com and entering your
username (email used during order placement) and your secure password.
Your payment options include Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Debit, electronic check and money orders.
Note: Use of electronic check or money order will delay order processing until payment is received.
Accessing your account
To access your account, log in using the email address you provided and the password you created during order placement. Your administrator will have their own secure portal to view your compliance status and results.
For additional assistance, please call their Service Desk at 888-723-4263 or visit CastleBranch’s help page for further information.