The responsibility to establish an advising relationship rests with you! Plan to meet with your academic advisor on a regular basis and share the following information:
- Academic and personal accomplishments prior to college entry. (high school GPA, academic awards, school and community activities)
- The degree to which your expectations of college are being met/not met and why.
- The major goals you hope to accomplish the first year and beyond.
- Special circumstances needing consideration in your academic and career goals. (learning limitations, personal challenges, having to work for income, raising children)
- Career exploration and planning issues-interests, abilities, and circumstances.
- Groups and organizations you want to join and the skills you hope to gain from participation.
- Career-related opportunities you would like to experience – internships, work, or volunteer.