Sports and Activities
Sports and Activities
Each program participant will experience ALL the following activities (except Mountain Biking, which must be registered for separately) over the course of a single 2-week session. Participants will be assigned to a group of 15-20 other children with 2-3 instructors who they will remain with for the duration of the 2-week session. Children will be grouped according to age. Groups will rotate to different facility locations throughout each day, participating in the various sports and activities listed below.
The focus and priority of our program is to provide participants with a variety of fun, developmentally appropriate sports and activities that can improve overall athleticism, coordination, and skill development. All lessons and activities have been designed for 5-14 year old participants with an emphasis on partner and small-sided games and activities to optimize participation and skill development. View the following activity categories for a brief description of each.
*Note on Swimming: No swimming lessons will be offered this summer. We hope to offer swimming lessons again in the future at the Campus Recreation Pool. Tentatively, we are hoping to provide a supervised open swim (once or twice per 2-week session) at the Campus Recreation Pool for full-day participants this summer.
- Participants will learn the basics of different field sports including: soccer, lacrosse, flag football, and ultimate frisbee.
- Participants will learn the fundamentals of the following gym sports and activities including: basketball, volleyball, and team handball.
- Participants will be instructed in belay rock climbing by staff at the rock climbing gym in the Campus Recreation Center. All instruction is scaled to the participants ability and experience.
- Boise State’s Campus Recreation Outdoor Adventure staff will provide participants with a variety of outdoor learning experiences on campus, including shelter building/pitching a tent, knot tying, orienteering, and slacklining.
- A combination of outdoor and indoor racket sports including badminton, speedminton, tennis, racquetball, and pickleball.
- A combination of familiar and novel sports and leisure activities and games including: disc activities, spikeball, capture the flag, and various fun movement games.
- Participants will engage in the following activities to enhance rhythm, timing, and overall coordination: jump rope, juggling, dance, and tumbling.
- Boise State’s Campus Recreation Outdoor Adventure staff will provide fun and engaging team building activities one day per week for each team of participants to help foster community and build interpersonal skills.
Mountain Biking Adventure (Separate from General Session)
- This is a morning (8:00am – 12:00pm) off-campus activity option where participants will explore local mountain biking trails and learn basic bike maintenance and safety. The pickup and drop-off location will be the same as all other participants (Bronco Gym Lawn). Participants will be responsible for bringing their own water and food/lunch, as well as bringing their own bike, helmet, and other equipment for this session. Separate enrollment for this session is required for participation.