Filming and Photography On Campus
We welcome both internal and external organizations to film or take pictures at Boise State University. However, the University must monitor and control video and photo shoots on campus to ensure the content is appropriate, adequate safety measures are in place, and the University receives appropriate consideration for access to and affiliation with the University’s brand. University Policy #10030 governs all photography and filming on campus. Requests are to be made through the Office of Trademark Licensing and Enforcement by completing a Location Request Form.
In order to streamline the review of requests and ensure that an appropriate representative is signing agreements covering these projects on behalf of the university, the following location request procedure has been established to request permission to film or photograph on campus.
Additionally, any requests to use a drone as part of the filming or photography project must adhere to the responsibilities and procedures included in the University’s Drone Operations Policy (Policy #12120).
Steps to Creating a Location Request
- Begin the process early to allow sufficient time for review. We recommend at least 30 days prior to when you want to film and/or photograph campus.
- Complete the Location Request Form describing your project.
- We will review your request. It typically takes 1 week to review a request. After the review of the request has been completed, we will notify the requestor of the status of the request.
- If the request has been approved, we will draft a filming location agreement and send it to the requestor for review and signing.
- Approval to film and/or photograph on Boise State’s campus for a project does not constitute approval to film and/or photograph on campus again without seeking additional approval.
- Requests to film on or in Athletic Facilities, including the blue turf (r) will require additional approval from Athletics.
- All filming other than personal and student productions for class or current news reporting will require insurance.
- A filming location fee will be required unless otherwise agreed with the Director of Trademark Licensing.
- To ensure safety of our students and to protect the campus and property, Boise State University policies and processes must be followed and respected.