NURS 345 Child and Family Nursing Lab
NURS 345: Child and Family Nursing Lab
Required For: Nursing BS Students
Course Description: Clinical application of knowledge and skills from NURS 344 and prior courses. Includes community, virtual clinical experiences, and simulation.
- Develop and be able to modify a nursing plan of care for a laboring patient using the nursing process.
- Demonstrate nursing skills that complement patient care in a safe and appropriate way.
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team to provide safe care for patients
- Discuss pharmacokinetics and safe administration of medications used in the maternity setting and how they differ from use in non-maternity settings
- Demonstrate holistic patient education that considers the individual needs of the patient, including but not limited to, developmental stage, age, culture, spirituality, and personal preferences.
- Identify the use of health policies and programs in the healthcare settings that support or hinder appropriate care for these patient populations
- Demonstrate professionalism in the role of the student nurse
- Discuss the role of the nurse specific to these patient populations (All Level Objectives)
What the students should be doing during clinical experiences:
- For this clinical, the expectation is that students will follow their assigned nurse and do skills such as: vital signs, physical assessment, administer medications, educate patients/families, provide report to the interprofessional team as appropriate, and experience as much as they can.
The Student may not:
- Be accountable for fetal or telemetry monitoring and interpretation.
- Co-sign anything that requires nurse signature (blood, medication administration, wastage, admissions, etc.)
- Witness or sign a consent document of any kind.
- Hang blood independently
- Independently pass medication, mobilize using lift equipment, any other skills that require nursing license (they can do these things assisted by licensed RN)
- Independently receive a telephone or verbal physician order
- Independently sign out medications from Pyxis, Omnicell, or similar dispensing system.