Classes begin for each DNP cohort in August (Fall semester). Applications are reviewed in the order received.
We have extended the deadline to accept applications until July 20, if space is available.
Completed applications including all supporting documentation should be submitted by:
April 15 – Receive priority consideration.
July 20 – Final application deadline.
- Boise State’s DNP is available to nurses practicing in all states, except Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
- Admission to Boise State’s Graduate College is required, but admission to the Graduate College does not guarantee admission to the DNP Program. Please direct any questions about the Graduate College application to email@example.com or 208-426-GRAD (4723).
- To be considered for admission, applicants must possess a valid, unencumbered RN license or advanced nursing practice license from within the United States and possess either:
a. Master’s Degree in Nursing from a CCNE or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited School of Nursing. Applicants are not required to be certified in a clinical specialty.
b. Or, a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from a CCNE or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited nursing program and a Master’s Degree in a related field. Students who possess a Master’s degree in a related field may be required to take additional graduate courses.
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in their undergraduate nursing coursework and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in their Master’s program (based on a scale of 4.0).
- English Proficiency (written and spoken) is mandatory.
- Complete the online Boise State Graduate College application ($65.00 USD).
- After you submit the application and pay the $65 Graduate College application fee ($95 USD for international applicants), click on the “Nursing” link in the left navigation menu. This will take you to the Application Requirements for Graduate Programs in Nursing screen where you will upload documents required for admission consideration.Under NURSING LICENSE, upload a copy of your active, unencumbered RN license issued by a state or territory of the United States.
- Under RESUME OR CURRICULUM VITAE, upload a CV or Resume. Please include any applicable specialty certifications and information regarding your work experience as a registered nurse.
- Under PERSONAL STATEMENT, upload a Comprehensive Statement. The Comprehensive Statement will be evaluated for the quality of the content and writing style (i.e. grammar, punctuation, spelling, word use), must not exceed 500 words, and must:
a. Discuss how your career and the nursing profession could be enhanced through two (2) of the eight (8) Essentials of Doctor of Nursing Practice Education established by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). Explain why you chose those two Essentials to discuss.
b. Identify a significant population, organizational or system problem that requires a change. Explain why this change would achieve a more successful health outcome using evidence. This problem should be one that you could potentially use as the basis for your DNP Scholarly Project.
- Skip the sections, NURSE PRACTITIONER LICENSE and NURSE PRACTITIONER CERTIFICATION. These sections are not required by DNP applicants.
- To provide the names and contact information for three professional references, please access the RECOMMENDATIONS link in the left navigation menu. References should be nursing faculty members, professional healthcare colleagues, or work supervisors who can evaluate your potential for success in a graduate program. Recommendations from family, friends, other students, or co-workers are NOT appropriate. After you submit this information, your references will be emailed and asked to complete an evaluation form. If your references experience any technical difficulty submitting the evaluation form, have them contact us.
- Arrange for official transcripts to be sent to Boise State University.
- Submit the School of Nursing processing fee ($20.00 USD).
- Boise State Graduate College Application Fee: $65.00
- School of Nursing DNP Application Fee: $20.00
Admission Notification and Interviews
Applicants may be interviewed by the admission committee by telephone interview after all application materials are received and reviewed.
The DNP program will communicate with you about your application status and admission decision. To facilitate timely communication, please contact the School of Nursing immediately if your address, phone number, or email address change.
Please remember, admission to Boise State’s Graduate College is required, but admission to the Graduate College does not guarantee admission to the DNP Program.
HOW TO MONITOR YOUR STATUS: At any stage during the application process, you can also log in to your Graduate College application account and check the status of your application to confirm that official transcripts have been received, that all supporting documents have been uploaded, and verify that your references have submitted an evaluation form.
PLEASE NOTE: Missing documentation or information will delay the review of your application. All information, including curriculum, requirements and cost are subject to change.