DNP Admission Requirements
At Boise State, we seek highly motivated nurses, who are ready to assume leadership roles in complex organizational environments, health care policy arenas, and health care delivery systems. We are looking for students who are prepared to meet the rigorous academic expectations of a professional doctoral program. We value individuals who embrace a collaborative and self-directed educational approach.
Applicants must possess a valid, unencumbered RN license or advanced nursing practice license from within the United States.
Applicants must possess either:
- A Master’s Degree in Nursing from a CCNE or ACEN accredited School of Nursing.
- A master’s degree in a related field (social work, business, public administration, health administration, etc) and a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from a CCNE or ACEN accredited nursing program. Students who possess a master’s degree in a related field may be required to take additional graduate courses.
GPA and Language Requirements
Applicants must possess:
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in their undergraduate nursing coursework.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in their Master’s program (based on a scale of 4.0).
- English proficiency (written & spoken) is mandatory.
Residency, Relocation, and International Restrictions
Residency: Boise State’s DNP in Leadership program is available to applicants from all U.S. states.
Relocation: Authorization or licensure rules vary state by state. Students are therefore encouraged to contact their program advisor or director to inquire about whether restrictions set by State Boards of Nursing have changed if relocating.
International: If considering a move out of country, contact your program advisor. The sanctions and restrictions for foreign countries are dynamic, and enrollments may require review by Boise State’s Institutional Compliance Office.
Please Note: Authorization of distance nursing education is a dynamic environment. It is the responsibility of the student to be aware of special requirements in their state when enrolling in online programs. If you have questions, please contact us or your state board of nursing for more information.
Financial assistance for international applicants is not available for the DNP. All non-native speakers of English, including international applicants, who do not meet established exceptions, must submit minimum English competency scores, including spoken English scores, as established by the School of Nursing. View Boise State guidelines for international students.