Before classes begin, take a few minutes to get your learning space ready to go
Review Browser and System Requirements for Boise State
Install more than one browser on your computer and experiment. You may find that one browser performs better than another for different applications. Also review the system requirements for Blackboard.
Identify other computers with an Internet connection that are available to use. If you experience trouble with your computer or Internet connection you will need access to a reliable back-up.
Prep your computer with any necessary software. Boise State students can download MS Office for free, and also can purchase both hardware and software from Bronco Tec. For more details about technology requirements, see OIT Services for Students.
Review the physical space where you will complete coursework and study during the semester
- Is this space quiet and free from distractions? How might you limit the distractions?
- Is there enough space and light to be comfortable while studying? How can you make adjustments?
- Will I have to share the computer with another person? How will you share time with them?
Having your computer and learning space prepped and organized will make the first week of school, and the remaining semester, much less hectic.
Be Comfortable with Technology
You are expected to know how to use Blackboard; your instructor will not teach this as part of the class. For this reason we encourage you to access and review your program’s resource site located within Blackboard where you will:
- Review program expectations and standards
- Develop clear expectations of online learning
- Identify personal learning strengths and weaknesses
- Review best practices for Internet use
- Understand basic computer literacy
- Increase comfort with Blackboard navigation
Information about accessing your online program’s resource site is provided in your orientation emails. For more information about using Blackboard, see Blackboard Student Help.