Research Fellowships and Scholarships
The art and science of research and fellowship is a tremendous benefit to all students seeking a pre-health pathway. Below please see the many opportunities for students in these areas.
Ralph Jones Pre-Medical Summer Fellowship – Pre-Medical Students only
Application posted early March every year!
Boise State University annually awards competitive research fellowships for Boise State students to collaborate with research scientists. Fellowships at Boise State are awarded in a combined Employee/Educational Experience format. Fellows will also participate in some mandatory, non-compensatory educational opportunities. The recipient is expected to and should anticipate committing to typically a minimum of 40 hours per week for 10 weeks in the selected lab during the summer of 2021.
The pre-medical students selected for this fellowship award will receive a stipend for participating in a bench research setting and assisting with research activities. A student award of $6000.00 is offered to facilitate student involvement in collaborative research on topics of interest to the student and as preparation for a future medical school application. Fellows will complete timesheets for hours worked, which is subject to payroll withholding.
- Applicants must be undergraduate pre-medical pathway students (any major will be considered).
- Applicants who have previously participated in this fellowship will not be eligible.
- Applicants must be either Junior or Senior undergraduates or post-baccalaureate students obtaining medical school prerequisites. Preference will be given to full-time Boise State students with limited research experience and who have expressed a commitment to diversity and inclusion efforts from a professional and/or personal level.
- Eligible students must currently be enrolled at Boise State (SP21) and completing a degree or prerequisite work on or after December 2021. Students graduating in May or August 2021 will not be eligible for a fellowship.
- Applicants must be available to participate in the program during the summer of 2021.
- Applicants must have completed at least the following course work before starting the fellowship:
- General Chemistry – 2 semesters
- Organic Chemistry – 2 semesters
- Biology – 1 year of college-level biology with 1 semester of Cell Biology strongly recommended
- Additional biology and chemistry background in courses such as microbiology, immunology, genetics, physiology, anatomy, and biochemistry are strongly encouraged and preferred
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
Preference will be given to the most qualified pre-medical students, and selection is competitive. Appropriate applicants include students with a strong background in the biological and physical sciences wishing to pursue medical school.
2021 Application Form Due March 5th