Skip to main content

Supervisor FAQs

Below is a list of some frequently asked questions. As a reminder, all guidance is subject to change and each unit on campus may have different requirements.

Please check with your immediate supervisor regarding the latest policies for your department, or  contact Human Resource Services for additional assistance.

Please note:

On March 1st, 2024, CDC guidelines changed regarding COVID-19 recommendations. There are no longer requirements for isolating when testing positive for COVID-19.

You do not need to report cases of COVID-19 to Public Health unless you or the patient lives on campus, has a shared bedroom, and would like to utilize Public Health housing.

There are no longer requirements for isolating when an employee tests positive for COVID-19.

An employee does not need to contact Public Health with information about a case of COVID-19 unless they live on campus, have a shared bedroom, and would like to take advantage of Public Health housing.


Commonly Asked Questions


What should I do if I have respiratory illness symptoms?

  1. If you’re already at work, notify your supervisor that you may need to use sick time. 
  2. Get tested for COVID-19 and flu at the Boise State Public Health Testing Center or a provider of your choice.
  3. If you have immediate concerns about missing work contact Human Resources at

What are the symptoms of respiratory illnesses?

People with a respiratory illness may have symptoms that include but are not limited to chest discomfort, chills, cough, decrease in appetite, diarrhea, fatigue (tiredness), fever or feeling feverish, headache, muscle or body aches, new loss of taste or smell, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat, vomiting, weakness, wheezing.

Positive Tests

What do I do if I test positive for COVID-19 or flu?

It is recommended that you stay home and away from others (including people you live with who are not sick) if you have a respiratory virus.

  • You can go back to your normal activities when, for at least 24 hours, both are true: your symptoms are getting better overall, and you have not had a fever (and are not using fever-reducing medication).
  • Keep in mind that you may still be able to spread the virus that made you sick, even if you are feeling better. You are likely to be less contagious at this time, depending on factors like how long you were sick or how sick you were.
  • If you develop a fever or you start to feel worse after you have gone back to normal activities, stay home and away from others again until, for at least 24 hours, both are true: your symptoms are improving overall, and you have not had a fever (and are not using fever-reducing medication). Then take added precautions for the next 5 days.

Office Protocols

Who do I contact if my professor, employee or supervisor doesn’t properly wear a facial covering in a required space on campus?

Facial coverings are welcome in all university-owned or controlled spaces. Facial coverings are currently required in the following spaces: 

  • Boise State Public Health Testing Center.
  • Anyone who has been exposed or tests positive for COVID-19 is recommended, but not required, to wear a facial covering when recommended by CDC guidelines.

Flexible Work

How do I request a flexible work arrangement?

Communication between the supervisor and employee is critical when determining whether flexible work arrangements are possible and under what terms. Documenting the details of the arrangement is critical, as the success of the arrangement depends upon both parties having the same understanding of what is expected of the employee and how performance will be assessed under the flexible work arrangement. Telecommute Forms or Alternative Work Schedules should be submitted where applicable. For guidance documenting other arrangements while forms are under development, please contact Human Resources.

How do I report my time when working under a flexible work arrangement?

Employees who report hours should still log actual hours worked on their timesheet as they have always done.

For employees who do not report hours worked, they would only enter time away from work for leaves (vacation, sick, etc.).


May I ask employees or students if they’ve been vaccinated?

Generally, no, unless there is a specific business or programmatic need to know, including, for example, the need to know a person’s vaccination status for purposes of international travel or to place a student in an internship or rotation in a facility that requires vaccination.

If you believe you have a business need to know a person’s vaccination status, please contact Human Resources or Boise State Public Health for assistance before making an inquiry.

Back To Top