Academic Appeal Form
Submit the Academic Appeal Form with all attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Academic Appeal Form PDF file was last updated on September 29, 2023.
When to Use the Academic Appeal Form
This Academic Appeal Form, which is submitted to the University Academic Appeals Committee, is used for adding and dropping classes after the deadlines, past semester complete withdrawals, most academic adjustments, and changing from audit-to-credit or credit-to audit after the deadlines.
How Appeals are Reviewed
The University Academic Appeals Committee (UAAC) is the final arbiter in the process of requesting an exception to academic policy. The UAAC reviews an appeal one time. A re-appeal for the same request will not be accepted. It is important that you submit sufficient documentation with your appeal to support your case.
How to Submit an Academic Appeal
- Complete the Academic Appeal Form. If you are hand-writing the form, use black or dark blue ink only.
- Write a maximum one page, typed letter detailing the reason for your appeal.
- Email your Academic Appeal Form with your appeal letter and all documentation to email@example.com. All materials must be received by Friday at 5:00 p.m. to be reviewed at the next Academic Appeals Committee meeting. Any appeal submitted with missing materials will be delayed in going before the committee.
- The Academic Appeals Committee will meet every Wednesday (with a few exceptions) to review appeals.
- You will receive an email decision within three to four business days after the committee reviews your appeal. You may also call (208) 426-4249 after 12:00 p.m. on Thursday to see if a decision has been made on your appeal.
Note: If you are withdrawing or dropping a course and would like the Fee Appeals Committee to review your appeal, you must check the ‘Forward to Fee Appeals Committee for consideration’ box on the Academic Appeal Form. Please note that the Fee Appeal Committee might require additional documentation from what is required for a successful academic appeal. Before submitting your appeal, please review the documentation requirements for fee appeals.
Documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- Academic Adjustment eForm
- Registration Override Form with required signatures
- Computer generated schedules or records of transactions
- Academic Appeal Plan of Study with required signatures
- Letters of support from faculty, advisor, physician, employer (on letterhead with their signature)
- Medical appointment history and bills
- Military orders
- Obituaries, funeral or memorial service program
Appropriate Appeals for the University Appeals Committee
- Academic adjustments for university graduation requirements, such as waiving residency, changing the minimum number of credits or GPA needed, using an expired catalog, etc. These must be accompanied by an Academic Adjustment eForm to be submitted by you or your advisor via Student Forms.
- Adding, dropping, withdrawing from classes or submitting applications for certain courses (e.g., independent study, internship, practicum, dissertation, thesis, projects) after the published deadline dates.
- Other requests for exceptions to academic policies and procedures.
What is NOT Appropriate for Appeal to the University Appeals Committee
- Academic grievances concerning faculty or grades. Read more about Grade Appeals and Academic Grievances.
- Issues related to financial aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Changes in past semesters that ended over five years ago (except by university error)
- Changes in past semesters that occurred before a posted degree (except by university error)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (208) 426-4129