Skip to main content

Graduation FAQs

Graduation FAQs

Applying for Graduation

When should I apply for graduation?

The earlier the better! If you want to graduate in the spring, apply between October and December. For winter, apply between July and August. For summer, apply between April and May. Deadlines for graduation applications can be found in the academic calendar.

Graduate students must submit and receive approval for the Application for Admission to Candidacy before applying for graduation. Your student center will not allow you to apply for graduation until the Application for Admission to Candidacy is approved.

How do I apply for graduation?

You can apply for graduation in myBoiseState Student Center, and then select the Apply for Graduation tile. Step by step instructions can be found on the Apply for Graduation page.

I forgot to apply for graduation on time, what should I do?

You can apply until the last day of classroom instruction of the semester in which you are graduating. There is a late fee for applying after the deadline.

What semesters can I graduate in?

Boise State has three graduation terms: fall, spring, and summer. Commencement ceremonies are held in May and December. Summer graduates are invited to celebrate during the December ceremony.

I applied but need to graduate in a different semester, what do I do?

To move your graduation term, complete and submit the Graduation Application Update Request form. You do not need to reapply for graduation or pay the graduation application fee again to change when you graduate.

Evaluation of Application

When will I know if I can graduate or not?

It can take up to 6 weeks to have your application reviewed by a graduation evaluator. You will receive an email with your graduation status when evaluation is complete.

The email says I can graduate, what's next?

You will receive emails about commencement timelines later in the semester. No other action is required unless you drop or change your course schedule.

The email says I can't graduate this semester, what do I do?

  1. Read the graduation status email carefully. Your graduation evaluator will have noted the requirement(s) you are missing.
  2. Contact your academic advisor to explore options.
  3. Check your Academic Advisement Report (AAR).
  4. Contact your graduation evaluator. Please include your student id number, and use your Boise State email.

I want to change my major/minor/certificate, what do I do?

Once you apply for graduation, you cannot make changes to your major, minor, or certificate through myBoiseState. Instead, complete and submit the Graduation Application Update Request form. You may need to pay application and any late fees, if applicable.

I dropped/changed classes, what do I do?

If you dropped or changed classes after being evaluated for graduation, please email Your graduation evaluator can check if you are eligible to graduate. Please use your Boise State email address and include your student id number.

Graduate students must also submit an Request for Adjustment of Academic Requirements form for any changes made after Application for Admission to Candidacy approval.

My employer/immigration is asking for a graduation verification letter, what do I do?

Sometimes your employer, immigration, or other entities will ask for a letter that confirms you are eligible to graduate. You can request the letter by completing the Graduation Verification Letter Request form.

Receiving Your Diploma

Where are diplomas sent?

Your diplomas will be mailed to the MAILING address listed in your student center, not the home or permanent address. Visit Add/Update Mailing Address for step-by-step instructions to check or change your address.

Do I receive my diploma at the commencement ceremony?

Diplomas are not given at the commencement ceremony. Your diploma will be mailed to you 3-4 weeks after commencement.

Where do I get a diploma cover?

You receive your diploma cover at commencement. It will be empty, as your degree is not yet conferred since grades are not final before commencement. If you are unable to attend commencement, covers are available for pick up at the Registrar’s Office front desk.

Back To Top