Research Restart – Fieldwork Guidelines Related To Covid-19
Boise State University will reopen in stages, and has prepared an approach to returning to normal operations including research activities. Field research offers some unique benefits along with some challenges regarding precautions to minimize risks to personnel. Overall, the same restrictions and practices apply for this type of work regarding prevention measures:
- Engage in physical distancing of at least six feet
- Wear face coverings in public places, research facilities, or in the presence of others.
- Stay home if sick, experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, have a confirmed case of COVID-19, or have close contact with someone with COVID-19
- Wash hands frequently (or use hand sanitizer)
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Disinfect surfaces and objects regularly
Additional Requirements and Considerations
- Follow university research staging requirements
- Work under an approved COOP/Safety Plan
- Modify activities to engage in physical distancing of at least six feet
- Face coverings need to be worn in any permanent or temporary facilities in addition to being in the presence of others or public areas.
- Develop an enhanced cleaning/disinfection protocol for any shared areas/facilities (toilets, food prep) or shared equipment
- Ensure adequate water and soap for handwashing or hand sanitizer
- Bring extra hand soap, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant wipes
- Carry a thermometer in your first aid kit
- Maintain robust communication to receive updates or get assistance; maintain a frequent check in schedule
- Carry a written emergency plan; consider distance to medical care and limited medical services/support for other injuries or illness
- Vehicle travel must be limited to no more than two people per vehicle to sites in order to maintain adequate distancing.
- For overnight trips, ensure extra lodging is available to maintain social distancing, i.e. single rooms, single tents
Develop a plan for someone beginning to exhibit symptoms in the field. Consider how they return home, seek medical attention