Curriculum – On Campus MSW Programs
The Boise State University Master of Social Work Regular Program curriculum is a 61-credit program. The program consists of 43 credits of academic classes, labs and seminars and 18 credits (1000 clock hours) of supervised social work field practicum.
- View sample curriculum at Boise State’s Graduate Catalog web page.
Master of Social Work (MSW) Curriculum
The foundation curriculum emphasizes knowledge, skills, and values needed for strengths-based in both micro and macro social work practice. Students complete courses in human behavior and the social environment, social welfare policy and services, social work practice, social work research, and field practicum.
The advanced curriculum addresses advanced professional direct practice with individuals and families. Interventions facilitate and enhance the quality of life for individuals and families in social systems of various sizes. Independent inquiry, commitment to promoting social and economic justice and equality, and commitment to individual and family well-being are emphasized.
The MSW curriculum includes the following elements:
- Skills in communication, reasoning, analysis, critical thinking and inquiry, and scientific method.
- Social work knowledge, values, and skills essential for making sound, ethical, and autonomous professional decisions.
- Exploration of the many dimensions of human diversity, cultural heritage; histories of social, economic, and racial oppression and their implications for social work practice.
- Specialized training in advanced direct practice with individuals and families.
- Specialized training in macro practice with groups, communities, organizations and policy.
Courses in Boise are taught primarily during the day on Mondays and Tuesdays in 3-hour blocks. A few courses are taught in the evening from 6 to 9 p.m. While some courses are taught fully online, others use a hybrid model with face-to-face sessions complemented by on-line work.
Want to learn more?
We are happy to provide more information and answer your questions about the Master of Social Work program offered at the Boise State University campus.
Contact The School of Social Work
MSW Program Management Assistant
Phone: (208) 426-1568
Office:Education Building, #716
Phone: (208) 426-1568