Gold strikes in the Bogus Basin caused miners and businessmen to pour into the Boise Valley. As a community started to emerge, the founders and city planners began to look at the many needs of a prosperous growing town. Boise’s water supply became one of those issues. This gallery illustrates the early development and management of the city’s water.
Well pump operating with extender speeds delivery and increases the number of customers served.
Single well pump working hard to deliver gallons of much needed water.
Inspector scrutinizes water wheel located near the Natatorium.
By the early 1900s, the original artesian wells in Hulls Gulch were insufficient to supply Boise’s growing population and several large diameter wells, such as this well between the Natatorium and the Boise river, were dug to supply potable water to the City.
Reservoir No. Four, located near the Idaho State Penitentiary, holds the capacity of 525,000 gallons of water.
For the 1890s, the Natatorium’s, Plunge, shows an ultra modern facility measuring 61 x 122 feet.
Swimmers of all ages come to frolic in the natural warm water of the Natatorium’s pool.
Reservoir No. One, at Hulls Gulch, holds a 550,000 gallon capacity
In the early 1900s, Reservoir No. 2 located in Hulls gulch held 220,000 gallons of water
Two hot water wells were drilled near the penitentiary in 1891. The artesian flow from the wells was approximately 1,000,000 gallons per day and tathe temperature was 180 degrees fahrenheit. Water from the wells was piped to the Natatorium. Excess water was used to heat homes along Warm Springs Avenue.
Workshop for the Boise Artesian Hot & Cold Water Co
Public drinking fountains welcome thirsty pedestrians in downtown Boise
Large well pumps grouped together maximize output and increase efficiency.
Swimmer enjoys a dive into the Natatorium’s grand pool. Bathing beauties perch on natural rock.