Theatre Scholarships Available and Audition/Interview Information
This information pertains specifically to scholarships available through the Theatre Arts Department. For additional scholarship opportunities, please visit Boise State Financial Aid.
To apply for a scholarship
- Scholarships for the 2021-2022 School Year, auditions will be accepted via video from February 6-27, 2021. Videos should be emailed to Margaret LeMay, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please contact Margaret LeMay at 208-426-3957 or email@example.com with questions.
- Prepare the appropriate materials for your interview – the information required will vary depending on your interests. Please see below for audition descriptions.
- All scholarship applicants will need to provide a video. Please include in your video some information on your background, your current GPA (in high school or college), your graduation date (from high school or expected from Boise State University), and whether or not you will a be fulltime theatre major in 2021-2022.
To be eligible for a scholarship:
- Continuing students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher; new students must have a 3.0 high school GPA and must apply for admission to Boise State University by February 15, of each year.
Recipients of scholarships are expected to
- Be declared a BA, Theatre Arts or BA, Theatre Arts Secondary Ed major; maintain a course schedule of 12 credits or more each semester; maintain a grade point average of 3.0; demonstrate growth; and participate actively in the departmental and Theatre Majors Association production programs.
- Thelma and Dean Brown Performing Arts Scholarship – an academic performance award for Theatre Arts majors. The scholarship may cover all student tuition and fees for an academic year. Two Brown Scholarships are designated as renewable and are held by the most promising and distinguished Theatre Arts majors. All current scholarship recipients must reapply for a Brown award for the upcoming academic year. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- Theatre High School Festival Scholarship – primarily intended for recent high school graduates. Funding for this award is generated by registration fees from our annual High School Festival held each spring. The scholarship covers a portion of tuition and fees. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- Theatre Arts Department Scholarship – funded by Boise State University and is designated to cover a portion of tuition and fees. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- The Britt Bowden Scholarship. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- John and Eleanor Hunt Scholarship. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- The Dan Allen Peterson Memorial Scholarship. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- The Velma V. Morrison Center for the Performing Arts Scholarship in Theatre Arts. Renewal is NOT automatic.
- The Morrison Center Scholarship for Theatre Arts majors. Renewal is NOT automatic.
Preparing for your audition/interview:
- Dance auditions–please contact Dance Program Director, Marla Hansen, firstname.lastname@example.org before emailing your scholarship video audition to email@example.com.
- Designer/Technician interviews require a portfolio of designs (renderings of sets, costumes, light plots); photographs of productions in which your designs are featured—may be class projects as well as realized designs. Please email your design video to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a file with your documents.
- Dramatic Writing requires a written statement explaining why you are interested in dramatic writing and a 3 to 5 page sample of your work. Please email your Dramatic Writing video to email@example.com. Include a file with your documents.
- Performance auditions require 2 prepared contrasting monologues no longer than 90-seconds each. You must also submit a head shot and a current resume. As an option, you may sing 16 measures of a song in addition to your two monologues. Please email your audition video to firstname.lastname@example.org.