Joni Hansen

Joni Hansen

Spanish BA – Boise State University

Masters of Library and Information Science (MLIS) – San Jose State University

Why is my Spanish degree so valuable to me?

First, as a librarian, I get to interact every day with members of the public who are looking for information. Being able to speak Spanish has increased the number of people I have been able to help. It is especially gratifying to be able to provide quality service for a group of people who, so often, are not able to get answers to the questions that are really important to them. I’ve taught basic computer classes, explained important notices, helped translate documents into English, showed how to purchase airline tickets, and much, much more. I’ve been able to create and manage Spanish-language collections that are valuable both to English-speakers learning Spanish and Spanish-speakers learning English or wanting to connect with their native language. My education has provided me the tools to be able to help on a larger scale than I could ever imagine.

Second, taking the time to learn a different language and culture opened my mind to new ways of thinking and viewing the world. As a librarian, I work with people from all walks of life and being able to approach each situation without bias or judgement is crucial. It also helps me plan classes and events that truly meet the needs of those who use the library, not just what I think would be cool. One of my favorite events at one library where I worked was the annual Spanish poetry night. All of the Spanish-speaking community came out to recite their favorite poems or declaim original compositions. It was beautiful to see the way they lit up as they shared something that was so culturally valuable to them.

Today my library is filled with languages from all over the world. I wish I could speak all of them! But I am incredibly grateful that my study of Spanish allows me to provide assistance where I wouldn’t have been able to and to approach all people with kindness, empathy, and understanding. BSU helped me to talk; libraries gave me something to talk about.