Free Study Skills Workshops
- AASC’s study skills workshops are free, 60-minute sessions meant to serve student groups (10+) and faculty members.
- You will learn new strategies that will enhance your academic experience and success.
- For one-on-one help with building your study skills and academic habits, we encourage students to meet with an Academic Coach.
In-Person Study Skills Workshops:
Top 10 Study Skills
Your time is precious, learn how to study smarter, not harder. Get tips to increase your focus, improve your time management, and maximize your ability to learn and remember course materials.
Managing your time is a critical skill for academic success. Come to this 60-minute workshop to make a study schedule, learn about principles for efficient and effective studying, and explore tools for avoiding procrastination and cramming.
Most students will find that note-taking is an essential part of their classes. This 60-minute workshop will provide strategies on how to quickly and efficiently take notes in class, four different note-taking systems, tips on how notes can be changed for different classes or professors, and an opportunity to practice new note-taking skills and systems.
Reading a College Textbook
This 60-minute workshop focuses on a very important aspect of being successful in college: reading a textbook. Students will learn strategies to save time and energy while reading, active reading techniques, and have time to practice new reading skills and strategies. Interested students are encouraged to bring one of their textbooks.
Every student will need to take examinations throughout their academic career. Participants in this 60-minute workshop will learn about strategies for test preparation, test-taking tips, and how to approach specific types of test questions. Students will walk away with a step-by-step study plan for upcoming tests.
Many students struggle with test anxiety and aren’t sure how to handle it. Students in this 60-minute workshop will learn psychological and physiological causes of test anxiety, study tips, and test preparation. This workshop aims to reduce anxiety by helping students feel more prepared, and also learn different relaxation techniques to help prevent and handle test anxiety.
Student organizations, faculty, and staff members:
If you would like a workshop to come to you and your students, please submit a request.
Online Student Success Training Modules
Boise State students have access to a series of free, interactive modules designed to explore several aspects of being a successful student. To access the modules, go to the Boise State StudentLingo page and the first time you visit the StudentLingo site, you will need to create an account using your Boise State email address. Available modules include:
- What It Takes To Be A Successful Student
- Learning Strategies Every Student Should Know
- Developing Critical Thinking Skills
- Handling Failure In and Out of the Classroom
- Exam Preparation Tips and Test-Taking Strategies
- Study Tips and Note-Taking Strategies
- Time Management: Strategies for Success
- Reading Comprehension Strategies
- How to Reduce Test Anxiety
- How To Develop Your Cross-Cultural Skills
- Improving Student-Faculty Relationships
- Online Courses: Staying Motivated and Disciplined
- Emotional Intelligence: The Other Key to Academic Success
- The Difference Between High School and College
- How To Succeed In Math