Office of the Provost
The Office of the Provost is committed to creating structures and processes in a culture where faculty, staff, and students can thrive so that, together, we will accomplish the university’s mission.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Dr. John Buckwalter joined Boise State in July 2021 after serving as the Betty L. Tointon endowed dean of the College of Health and Human Sciences at Kansas State University, as well as a professor in the Department of Kinesiology.
Originally from Arkansas, Dr. Buckwalter earned a B.A. in Spanish and B.S. in Health and Physical Education at Centenary College in Shreveport, Louisiana, and both an MS and Ph.D. in Kinesiology from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. He is a fellow in the American Physiological Society and the American College of Sports Medicine.
What is a Provost?
The Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs is the senior academic officer of the University. The Provost oversees all academic activities and provides leadership in all matters related to academic programs. The deans and leaders of academic administrative units report to the Provost.
The President of the University charges the Provost with:
- Academic quality and student success
- Ensuring a positive learning and working environment
- Implementation of the University’s Strategic Plan
- Institutional accreditation and accountability
- Recruiting and maintaining a top-quality faculty
- Managing academic appointments, tenure, and promotion
- Leading the university’s internationalization efforts