Professional Headshots at the Career Fair
Take advantage of this opportunity to receive a FREE professional headshot courtesy of Career Services. Use your headshot to upgrade your LinkedIn profile and create a stronger personal brand and professional online presence everywhere you use a profile photo.
The photo booth will be open the same hours as the Career Fair. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the end of the event.
The photo booth is typically located in a different room than the main career fair. Signs will be posted, but you can also ask a greeter at the entrance to the Jordan Ballroom for directions.
If multiple photos were taken, the photographer will select the best photo of you. The finished photos (1 per person) will be distributed approximately 3-4 weeks after the event via the Career Services Facebook page. You will receive an email with further instructions on accessing your photo.
Please note that professional headshots are only available to Boise State students and alumni.
Where to use your professional photo
- LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/)
- The email account you will use in your job search
- Your account/profile on any website of a professional organization you’re a member of
- Your account/profile on any websites or message boards/discussion groups related to your career
- Online portfolios or websites you have
- Any social media sites you use for professional purposes or to promote your brand
- Your Google, Skype, or other accounts you may use for video interviews
Remember that your online presence is everything you have online, not just what you’re actively using in your job search (as well as everything posted about you online!), so also consider using your professional photo on:
- Social media sites you use only for personal reasons (If you use a different photo, make sure it is still consistent with your brand and something you’d want employers seeing!)
- Any personal email accounts you will not be using in your job search
- Profiles on other websites, message boards, or discussion groups unrelated to your career
Tips for Getting a Good Photo
- Practice your expressions in the mirror! Smiling on command is not a natural thing for everyone. Work on becoming familiar with what a particular expression feels like when you make it so you can replicate it without looking in a mirror.
- When making decisions about attire, hair, makeup, or accessories, consider your career goals. How do people in your career field typically dress and style themselves for work? For your photo, a good guideline is to dress how you would for an interview for a job in your field.
- Also consider your personal brand when making decisions about your appearance. Your brand is the professional image you want to portray, so your photographic image needs to reflect and reinforce that brand.
- Remember that a headshot is usually cropped tightly on your face, and will only show a little bit of your neck, chest, and shoulders. Consider what will show up in the photo when you plan what to wear. Put on your outfit and look in the mirror to make sure everything will look right, keeping in mind all profile photos will be cropped to a square or circle.