Skip to main content

New Students FAQ

Before Starting at Boise State

I don’t know anything about Boise, Idaho.  Where can I get more information?

Please visit our About Boise page to learn about our great city!

I want to check out the campus.  Can I book a tour?

Yes, Boise State University’s admission’s department offers a variety of campus tours and visits.  Please look at the Campus Visit page to sign up!

How do I apply to Boise State?

Please visit the Boise State admissions page to apply to Boise State University. This page will also have information about deadlines.

Does Boise State offer concurrent enrollment courses?

Yes, Boise State offers concurrent enrollment courses in most areas of study including chemistry. To see what school and courses offer concurrent enrollment course visit the Participating High Schools, Courses, and Instructors page on the Boise State Concurrent Enrollment page.

If I have concurrent enrollment credit from a school other than Boise State will it be accepted?

Yes, any concurrent credit you receive in high through a different college or university will transfer to Boise State as if you had taken the Course at that school. Please be aware that a transfer equivalency is done on all courses being transferred to Boise State so all courses may not transfer in as the same credits. To view what your classes will transfer as you can look in the Boise State Transfer Equivalency System (TES).

How do I know if and what AP or IB courses will count as?

You can see what scores are required and what courses AP and IB test count for the Credit for Prior Learning Page on the Registrar’s Office webpage. For chemistry specifically you will receive CHEM 101 credit for a 3 and CHEM 111 credit for a 4 on the AP test. For IB chemistry HL test if you get a 4 you will receive credit for CHEM 111. All laboratories will be counted as CHEM 100XF credit until a laboratory syllabus or notebook is evaluated by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.

If I am transferring to Boise State from another college or university, how do I know what my transferring course will count as?

You can view what courses will count as in the Boise State Transfer Equivalency System (TES). If a course you have is not in the system as soon as the Registrar’s office reviews your transcript an equivalency will be completed.

Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Program

Once accepted to Boise State how do I declare my major?

You can major on your my.boisestate student page. For step by step instruction please visit the Change my major page on the myBoiseState Help page.

What is an emphasis?

In the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry our program is set up so all students get a degree in chemistry and then select at least one emphasis based on what you want to do after you graduate from Boise State. We have offer five different emphases, ACS Certified Biochemistry, Biochemistry, Forensics, Secondary Education, and Professional. To Learn more about our emphasis, go our advising program information page.

What courses are required for a degree in chemistry?

To view what classes are required to get a B.S. in chemistry at Boise State visit the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry page on the Undergraduate Catalogs webpage.

What is required to get a minor in chemistry?

Please visit the chemistry minor requirements in the undergraduate catalog webpage.

Additional Resources and Opportunities

What resources are available for help with chemistry courses?

The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry has a Chemistry Instructional Center that is a drop in tutoring center free of charge. They help assist with chemistry courses from general chemistry through biochemistry. Many chemistry courses also offer learning assistant (LA) or study sessions specifically for the course. All chemistry instructors hold office hours which you can attend with questions. You can also request a private tutor through the Department of Chemistry ( Private tutoring does have a cost associated with it. For other departments and campus tutoring resources please visit the Learning Assistants and Drop-in Tutoring page on the AASC webpage.

How do I find job opportunities in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry?

All student employment opportunities will be posted on the Chemistry Majors Canvas site as well as emailed out. On a yearly basis there are opportunities for student employment in the chemistry stockroom, chemistry instructional center, and laboratory instruction. Please visit our student opportunities page for more information.  For all student employment position available at Boise State please visit Handshake.

How do I find an internship?

All chemistry specific internship opportunities will be posted to the Chemistry Majors Canvas site as well as emailed out. For all Boise State internship visit the Internship Information page on Career Services webpage.

Back To Top