Human Resource Association Code of Ethics
As HR students, we are responsible for adding value to the HR program and university we study under and contributing to the ethical success of the programs. We should accept professional responsibility for our individual decisions and actions. We are also advocates for the profession by engaging in activities that enhance its credibility and value.
To build respect, credibility and strategic importance for the HR profession within our university, the business community, and the communities in which we work.
- To assist the organizations we serve in achieving their objectives and goals.
- To positively influence university practices.
- To encourage professional decision-making and responsibility.
- To encourage social responsibility.
Adhere to the highest standards of ethical and professional behavior.
- Comply with university rules.
- Work consistent with the values of the profession.
- Strive to achieve the highest levels of service, performance and social responsibility.
- Advocate for the appropriate use and appreciation of human beings as fellow students and employees.
- Advocate openly and within the established forums for debate in order to influence decision-making and results.
As students, we must strive to meet the highest standards of competence and commit to strengthening our competencies on a continuous basis.
- To expand our knowledge of human resource management to further our understanding of how our organizations function.
- To advance our understanding of how organizations work (“the business of the business”).
- Pursue formal academic opportunities.
- Commit to continuous learning, skills development and application of new knowledge related to both human resource management and the organizations we serve.
- Pursue PHR certification.
HR students are expected to exhibit individual leadership as a role model for maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- To set the standard and be an example for others.
- To earn individual respect and increase our credibility with those we serve.
- Be ethical; act ethically in every professional interaction.
- Question pending individual and group actions when necessary to ensure that decisions are ethical and are implemented in an ethical manner.
- Seek expert guidance if ever in doubt about the ethical propriety of a situation.
- Through collaborating with others in our student organization, champion the development of others as ethical leaders in the profession and in organizations.
Fairness and Justice
As human resource students, we are ethically responsible for promoting and fostering fairness and justice for all people.
To create and sustain an environment that encourages all individuals and the organization to reach their fullest potential in a positive and productive manner.
- Respect the uniqueness and intrinsic worth of every individual.
- Treat people with dignity, respect and compassion to foster a trusting student organization free of harassment, intimidation, and unlawful discrimination.
- Ensure that everyone has the opportunity to develop their skills and new competencies.
- Assure an environment of inclusiveness and a commitment to diversity in the organizations we serve.
- Develop, administer and advocate policies and procedures that foster fair, consistent and equitable treatment for all.
- Regardless of personal interests, support decisions made by our organizations that are both ethical and legal.
Use of Information
HR students should be honest in taking classes and managing the Human Resource Association
HR students should not cheat or take unethical shortcuts while taking classes or managing the Human Resource Association
- Acquire and disseminate information through ethical and responsible means.
- Ensure only appropriate information is used in decisions affecting the student organization.