Where Are They Now?: Alumni Story Featuring Melissa Frey, Class of 2018

Where did you grow up?

Castleford, ID – population 217 more or less!

What is something unique about you?

I have the ability to balance a professional career with a farm girl mindset.  I left the farm some time ago but not completely. I have found a way to have both at the same time.  Having this balance has given me both patience and a work ethic that has been critical in tackling any project.

What do you like to do for fun?

I love getting out of the city whenever I can.  I have a fourteen year-old daughter who loves Volleyball. When we aren’t bumping the ball around we like to head to the family farm where we can unplug and explore. I also have a black lab named Cooper, a bunny named Jelly Bean and two ducks Peta and Noodles that keep me busy and entertained 24/7.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

Never pass up an opportunity to grow.

In what year did you complete Boise State’s Professional MBA program?

2018

What is your current professional role and what are your responsibilities? How did you get to where you are now?

I am currently the HR Manager at Idaho’s premier, full service business law firm.  I manage all things HR for all office locations.

In your opinion, what was the most impactful part about completing the Professional MBA program?

The opportunity to work on a project with people who had different backgrounds and experience was challenging but rewarding.  I think in our careers we are constantly working with new vendors, clients etc. and this provided a safe environment to learn and perfect my skills in this area without the risk of losing the client or vendor.

How did the Professional MBA impact your view on strategic decision making and leadership?

Getting to take a project from start to finish is not an opportunity most of us have. We typically have roles we play in a project but we aren’t always the lucky one to be there and be deeply involved from start to finish.  Strategic decision making impacts many things and many people. Having leadership skills gives you the tools to see this impact and have a better understanding of what the outcome of a decision will have on your organization, group, team etc.

What advice do you have for those considering an MBA?

It will never feel like the right time but it’s always the right time to invest in yourself. We are strange creatures who can adapt to anything, even when we don’t think we have any room or time to add something to our plates.

What’s your next big goal (it can be personal or professional!)?

I am working towards certifications for both the HR and the Legal industries.