Where Are They Now?: Alumni Story Featuring Iris Madrigal, Class of 2022

What is your preferred name?

My preferred name is Iris. It’s always a conversation starter. I usually hear: “That’s my grandma’s name” or “I love that Goo Goo Dolls song.”

Iris Madrigal professional headshot

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Guadalajara and Boise.

What is something unique about you?

I started working in the family business when I was 12 years old.

What do you like to do for fun?

I like to spend time with my family and friends. We especially love taking our boat out to the lake. I love to try new places to eat and I am obsessed with True Crime podcasts.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

“It’s never too late to try something new.” It was advice given to me by a stranger at a coffee shop. She saw that I was reading the pamphlet for Boise State’s Professional MBA (PMBA) program and asked me if I was planning to join. I told her I thought my chance had passed since I was almost 40 years old and had two young daughters. She laughed and said: “It’s never too late to try something new.” I took that as a sign and called Boise State the next day. I’m glad I did.

In what year did you complete Boise State’s Professional MBA program?

I completed the PMBA program in the Spring of 2022. We were the Covid cohort. During our second semester, the pandemic shut everything down and we had to pivot to an online format.  I was in awe at the resilience of the staff and my classmates. From professors teaching in their closets to teammates holding their babies at home while joining our class via Zoom.  It was an experience that made me appreciate our nature to adapt.

What is your current professional role and what are your responsibilities? How did you get to where you are now?

I am currently working for JR Simplot Company as part of the Leave of Absence team.  My goal when I joined the MBA program was to change careers. I went from working in the small business sector to being part of one of the most influential companies in the state. Along with my team, we administer leaves for over 9,000 employees. In this specialized role, I am challenged daily to find ways to help our employees while maintaining the goals and values of the company. Completing the MBA program prepared me to be successful in this role because it taught me the leadership skills needed to bring value to the company.

In your opinion, what was the most impactful part about completing the Professional MBA program?

This is a tough question because it’s hard to narrow it down to just one impactful part. I feel that on a personal level, my self-esteem soared.  My daughters witnessed how much work and commitment it took to achieve my goal and seeing how proud they were of me made all the sacrifices worth it. On a professional level, networking has been very valuable. All the potential job offers were thanks to a connection made during the PMBA program. Everyone in my cohort reached out and tried to help me find my ideal job after graduation. The Boise State advisors and professors continued to advise me during my job hunt, even after graduation.

How did the Professional MBA impact your view on strategic decision making and leadership?

The Professional MBA program helped me identify my strengths in leadership. I have always considered myself empathetic and thought it would make me appear weak in a cutthroat business setting. It was in the MBA program that I learned the importance of being an empathetic leader. I have since embraced it and apply it everyday in my role.

Iris takes a selfie with family

What advice do you have for those considering an MBA?

Take the leap. It is scary and your head can be full of doubt, but the reward at the end is worth committing to the program. At the end, you will have made valuable friendships and gained the confidence needed to be a strategic leader.

What’s your next big goal (it can be personal or professional!)?

I want to continue to become an expert in my field. I plan to pursue further certifications in HR and I have not dismissed the idea of pursuing a doctorate.