Student Story Featuring Kayla Ivey, Class of 2024

Where did you grow up? Kayla Ivey professional headshot

McCall, ID

What is something unique about you?

I grew up super shy, but I have actually tackled things like in-person public speaking and giving webinars in my job. These are things I never would have thought I could do in my early life!

What do you like to do for fun?

I love to spend time with my partner Kyle and my dog Charlie, whether it’s cozy time at home making dinner and watching a movie, or taking a trip and discovering new things together. I also love to read, cook, and do barre and yoga classes.

What is your current professional role and place of employment?

I am a Product Marketing Manager at DRB, which is a technology company out of Akron, OH that specializes in the car wash industry. 

What does your job entail? What do you like most?

My job involves understanding our products and communicating the value of those products to customers, as well as understanding what customers need and communicating that back to our product team. I really enjoy solving problems, so this role allows me to uncover problems and figure out how we can solve that with our products. I also love copywriting, strategy, and messaging. This role is a great combination of all of those things!

Why did you decide to pursue Boise State’s Professional MBA program?

I grew quickly in my career with a small startup and found myself participating in high-level conversations with senior leaders. I really wanted to equip myself with the vocabulary and foundation to not only understand these conversations at a higher level, but be able to bring my own perspective and communicate in a way that would be respected. I’ve discovered over the years in my career that I have a unique outlook on things and people value hearing my opinions, so I wanted to bring a higher level business acumen to the table.

In your opinion, what has been the most impactful part about the Professional MBA program?

Hands down, making connections with the other students has been the most impactful (and surprising) part for me. I entered the program completely focused on the academic aspect and the content that I wanted to learn, but the most influential part has been making new connections and friendships within my cohort. I have really enjoyed that every student brings different perspectives and experiences to the table, so you’re not only learning from your professors but also from each other. 

Tell us about how you balance work, life and school. What are your tips for success?

Balance has been tricky! First of all, don’t be too hard on yourself early in the program – you will settle into it and figure out a routine, but it takes some time. One key thing is making sure I scheduled in time for exercise. Between working all day and class at night, you find yourself sitting a lot! I also found it important to keep my morning routine, which involves reading my own books for fun. This is my “sacred time” that I maintained before embarking on a crazy day of work and school! Most of all, just remember that this is temporary and do the best you can.

Since starting the Professional MBA, how has the program impacted your leadership abilities, work performance and / or career advancement?

The best part about doing the program while working full-time is that you can immediately bring what you’ve learned at school to your job. I found myself sharing things I learned at school with my work colleagues and just bringing a new level of confidence to my job because I had new frameworks to rely on. My manager also mentioned in my review how much she respects my ambition to go to school while working, so I know it’s appreciated by senior leaders in our company. 

What is your post-MBA plan (can be personal and/or professional!)?

I plan to reward myself with a trip to Ireland with my partner, sister, and brother-in-law after graduation! Career-wise, I want to continue to challenge myself by mastering product marketing and growing in my current role. I would love to eventually lead marketing strategy at a values-driven company like a B-corp or start my own venture.