Finance student, Luke George, lends his business knowledge to help a friend

Luke George

Luke George is from Kuna, Idaho, and is in his junior year working toward a degree in finance at Boise State. Early in the year, George’s friend Ethyn Williams, a student at the College of Western Idaho, asked him for help to prepare for the Idaho Entrepreneur Challenge.

“I was happy to help,” said George. “Having a few business classes under my belt and technical skills, I was able to help Ethyn by conducting market analysis, putting business strategy into words and making future business plans. Plus, I helped Ethyn perfect his pitch.”

Williams’ business is Lower Gear Cycles, which is an affordable and convenient mobile alternative to traditional walk-in bicycle repair shops. They provide a full line of cycle repair services, visiting customers wherever and whenever they need them. Also joining the team was Idaho State student, Emily House.

Luke George with big $5,000 check
Luke George, Ethyn Williams and Nic Miller, executive director for the Venture College

The team tied for 1st place in the Service Track, taking home $5,000.

George enjoyed the competition environment and plans to continue a partnership with Williams.

“Working with the mentors and networking with fellow competitors was my favorite part of the competition,” said George. The IEC gave Ethyn and I the opportunity to take Lower Gear Cycles to the next level.”