Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions About Concurrent Enrollment

The following questions and answers will provide you with more information about Boise State University’s Concurrent Enrollment program.

Search Concurrent Enrollment FAQs

What is Concurrent Enrollment/Dual Credit?

Concurrent Enrollment/Dual Credit means that students earn both high school and University credit at the same time. Dual credit, concurrent enrollment, dual enrollment, and early college all represent the same meaning in Idaho. The cost is set at $75 per credit statewide. The courses appear on a high school and university/college transcript as soon as the student registers for a concurrent enrollment course with an institution.

Boise State’s Concurrent Enrollment program provides college-credit bearing courses taught to high school students by University approved high school instructors. Students and instructors use Boise State curriculum, texts, and grading scales. Classes are offered during the high school’s calendar year.

How do I Register for a Concurrent Enrollment Course?

Visit our How to Register page for details on how to register and enroll in Boise State concurrent enrollment courses at your high school.

For information on how to apply and enroll in on campus classes, visit our On-Campus Option page.

If I Do Not Receive Fast Forward Funding, How Do I Make a Payment Online?

You can pay course fees online through your myBoiseState account by credit/debit card or electronic check once your registration is processed.

To pay online, log on to your myBoiseState account. Select “Student Center.” Navigate to the Finance Section in the Student Center tab, select “Make a payment,” and follow the instructions. A convenience fee of 2.75% (minimum $3) will be added to all credit or debit card payments. There is no fee for an electronic check.

How Do I Access myBoiseState?

Once your application has been processed, you will receive an email containing your Boise State ID number and username. New students will also receive this information by mail in an admissions letter from the Boise State Admissions Office. You will need your username to set up your myBoiseState and BroncoMail accounts.

For details on how to set up and access your myBoiseState account, visit our Accessing myBoiseState web page.

How Do I Drop a Concurrent Enrollment Course?

To drop a concurrent enrollment course, please complete and submit the Boise State concurrent enrollment drop/withdrawal form.

If the course is dropped before the term drop deadline, course fees will be refunded (if paid directly by the student) and there will be no impact on the student’s transcript. Additionally, there will be no impact on future Fast Forward funding.

For courses dropped AFTER the term drop deadline, students will not receive a refund and will have a withdrawal (W) recorded on their official Boise State transcript. If a student receives a W or F on a transcript for any course that Fast Forward funding covered, future funding will be stopped until the student pays for and successfully earns credit for one like course.

See Important Dates and Deadlines for Students for drop and withdrawal deadlines for the current semester.

Please remember that high school and college registrations are separate. Failure to submit a drop/withdrawal request to the Concurrent Enrollment Office will mean you will remain registered in our University system. If you do not complete the course you are enrolled in for University credit, a failing grade will be posted to your official transcript. A failing grade will also have an impact on future Fast Forward funding. After dropping a course for college credit you may still remain in the class for regular high school credit.

Are Concurrent Enrollment Credits Transferable to Other Colleges and Universities?

Dual credit courses are accepted by all Idaho institutions of higher education and most accredited institutions outside the state. Idaho’s colleges/universities are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

Students are strongly encouraged to consult with the institution of their choice regarding the transferability of credits earned.

If you plan to attend Boise State, visit our Transfer Evaluation System (TES) to determine how your college credits from other institutions will transfer to Boise State. Using TES, you can also see how your Boise State credits will transfer to other institutions in and out of state. TES is updated regularly. If you do not see the school or course you are looking for, it may not be in the database yet. Please contact the Registrar’s Office to verify if the course will transfer.

To learn how to transfer credits into Boise State from other institutions, visit the Boise State Admissions Official Transcripts web page.

If you plan to attend an Idaho public post-secondary institution, you can also visit the Idaho CourseTransfer website to see how your courses will transfer.

For more information on Transfer Credit Equivalency, and transfer credit basics, visit the Transfer Credit Basics page at the Boise State Registrar’s website.

What Are the Differences Between Concurrent Enrollment/Dual Credit Courses and Advanced Placement (AP) Courses?

  • Both offer challenging college-level course curriculum to high school students.
  • Both are taught by qualified and approved high school instructors.
  • Both offer potential for students to receive college recognition, including credit, placement, or advanced standing.
  • Each has an associated cost. Concurrent Enrollment courses are $75 per credit. AP exams are $95.
  • Concurrent Enrollment/Dual Credit students earn a letter grade and credit on a college transcript based on course performance and have access to college resources. Credits are transferrable but this may vary by college.
  • Credit for Advanced Placement (AP) students earn a score on the AP exam administered in May each year. No course grade or transcript is generated, and students do not have access to college resources. Students can have test scores sent to their chosen college(s) for course equivalency which will vary by college. For exam scores of 3, 4, or 5, some universities award credit or waive a specific course. For certain courses with labs, the lecture portion of the course is all a college can accept. To find AP course equivalencies for Boise State, visit

Do Concurrent Enrollment Students Qualify for Federal Financial Aid?

Concurrent Enrollment students do not qualify for financial aid. To qualify for federal grants and loans, the federal government requires students to have received a high school diploma or its equivalent.

What Should I plan on Doing If I Want to Attend Boise State in the Future?

Concurrent Enrollment students interested in attending Boise State after high school graduation will need to submit an Undergraduate Application to the Admissions office with their official ACT or SAT Test scores and high school transcript. There is no application fee for Idaho high school students.

Students can apply online by going to and clicking on the “Undergraduate Applications” button.

For more information about application deadlines and to schedule a campus tour, visit the Boise State Admissions website.

What is FERPA and the Release of Information Form?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also known as the Buckley Amendment or FERPA) is a federal law that limits the amount of information that can be released about students without their specific written permission.

If a parent or guardian would like access to a Concurrent Enrollment student’s student account and financial records, student academic records, or admission records, the student must give their written consent. This information may be submitted as students register for a course via

What is Form 1098-T and What Should I Do With it?

Colleges and universities are required by U.S. law each year to provide each student who is a “US person” for tax purposes with Form 1098-T, to assist the students and their families in computing any tax credit or deduction they may be able to claim, based on amounts they have spent for education. Students who are not eligible for Fast Forward funding and have paid for their concurrent enrollment (CE) courses may be able to claim education tax credits. Many CE students, however, use Fast Forward funding to pay the tuition of their courses. In this case, one would not need to submit this form for tax purposes.

For general information on Form 1098-T and the related tax credits and deductions, you may also want to review the information available from IRS in Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Education) or elsewhere on the IRS website. In addition, Boise State’s Student Financial Services website may be helpful in further understanding Form 1098-T.

How Do I Receive a Receipt for My Student Account Balance?

An official receipt of student account balances and fees paid by term can be obtained by accessing a term summary report through one’s myBoiseState account. For instructions about how to create and print a report for your records, view the Term Summary Report Instructions.