What is Sophomore Start?
Boise State’s Sophomore Start option is designed to provide high school students taking concurrent enrollment courses the opportunity to achieve a significant college milestone prior to high school graduation–completing their college freshman year by earning thirty college credits before graduating. Sophomore Start helps motivated students map the connection between their current academic performance and future life goals.
Personalized Degree Planning
You will work with a Concurrent Enrollment advisor to create a degree plan based on your personal goals and degree interests, to guide you in making a seamless transition to college.
Reduced Summer Tuition
After the completion and approval of a Sophomore Start degree plan, participating students are eligible to take reduced-cost college summer courses on campus for the Sophomore Start rate of $75 per credit (additional costs and fees may apply, including textbooks, online fees, and lab fees).
Credits eligible for the Sophomore Start option include transferable concurrent enrollment/dual credit courses offered from Boise State and other colleges, transfer courses, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests.
To participate in Boise State’s Concurrent Enrollment Sophomore Start option, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a freshman, sophomore or junior in high school (juniors must be enrolled in or have completed a minimum of 9 college-level credits).
- Attend Nampa, Skyview, Columbia, Centennial, Eagle, Meridian, Mountain View, Owyhee, or Rocky Mountain High School.
- Plan to attend Boise State University upon high school graduation.
- Have a goal to complete a minimum of 30 college credits while still in high school.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Have signed permission of a parent or guardian.
Once a student decides to participate in the Sophomore Start option, and meets eligibility criteria, they must complete the following requirements:
- Complete an agreement of participation.
- Meet at least once each academic year with a Boise State Concurrent Enrollment advisor to develop and maintain a personalized degree plan consisting of courses that best match their college goals. Only students with an advisor approved degree plan are eligible to take Boise State summer classes at the reduced Sophomore Start rate of $75 per credit.
- Be admitted and actively enrolled in dual credit or on-campus courses throughout their participation in the option.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) and remain in good academic standing.