Inclusive Excellence Faculty Learning Community
What is the Inclusive Excellence Faculty Learning Community (FLC)?
A FLC is composed of cross-disciplinary faculty members committed to working together to reflect upon their teaching and provide feedback to one another. The Inclusive Excellence FLC will support efforts of 8 faculty to address equity, inclusion, and diversity at the course level, in the context of ongoing campus initiatives around inclusive excellence (IE).
Facilitated by Tasha Souza, CTL Associate Director and Professor of Communication
- Actively engage in all meetings
- Assess resources on IE in the classroom in order to understand the complexity of such efforts.
- Apply principles of IE to pedagogical and course design choices.
- Earn a $500 stipend upon completion of the FLC deliverables.
- Be able to count participation for 4 BUILD certificate learning opportunities. (https://www.boisestate.edu/ctl/build/)
- Explore common readings and other resources.
Schedule and Expectations
The IE FLC will meet face-to-face for two hours on nine separate occasions over the academic year. The group will meet seven times in the fall 2019 semester and two times in the spring to develop and integrate strategies. Elements of participants’ spring courses will be modified over the fall semester in order to make their course(s) more inclusive. Changes will be implemented in spring 2020 courses.
#1-7 Meetings (September – December, 2019): During these meetings, we will introduce and share resources about the FLC topic(s) for individual reading and study, discuss resources and implementation plans, and respond to individual progress. Meetings will be scheduled Wednesdays from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM on the following dates: 8/28, 9/11, 9/25, 10/9, 10/23, 11/20, 12/11.
#8 & 9 Meetings (January and April, 2020): These meetings will serve as bookends around the spring course IE implementation. Meetings will be scheduled Wednesdays from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM on the following dates: 1/15 and 4/29.
In addition to attendance at the above meetings, participants will be required to:
- Complete readings and activities prior to each meeting.
- Complete IE projects: Plan, implement and assess content and/or pedagogical modifications (utilizing IE principles) to one or more courses taught during the spring 2020 semester.
- Submit a 3-4 page summary of work completed after the course modifications have been assessed. Summaries must be submitted by May 15, 2020.
- Share FLC project findings at a departmental meeting.
- Have the option of providing a poster presentation about their FLC project at the 2020 Symposium in January or a Teaching and Learning Spotlight/workshop presentation in the CTL.
All full-time faculty (including lecturers, research, and tenure-line faculty) are eligible to apply.
For full consideration, applications should be submitted by May 17, 2019. To submit an application, please fill out this online form.
Participants (8 total) will be selected based on their commitment to quality teaching and inclusive academic excellence, interest in working within a faculty learning community, openness to making course modifications, and ability to commit to participation and attendance at meetings and other important dates.
Selections for the 2019-2020 FLC will be announced by May 24, 2019.
Please contact Tasha Souza, CTL Associate Director, email@example.com.