Summer 2020 CARES Act HEER Fund Distribution
The Department of Education defined the eligibility for CARES Act HEER funds as:
- Title IV eligible as defined in Section 484 of the Higher Education Act of 1965; including, Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Enrollment in a ground-based program on March 13, 2020
Based on this criteria 3,334 students were eligible to receive CARES Act HEER funding. Boise State University utilized the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) derived from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine the distribution plan. While a large number of students were financially impacted in a variety of ways, it was determined that those with the lowest income were the least financially prepared to overcome those impacts. Therefore, funds were distributed to eligible students with an EFC up to $10,000. Students with higher EFCs were issued funding if the secondary application was submitted by June 9, 2020.
Boise State University included additional criteria when determining eligibility and distribution of CARES Act HEER funds for summer semester:
- Currently enrolled or summer session(s) successfully completed, degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate students not enrolled in an exclusively online program (on March 13, 2020).
- At least half time enrollment with Boise State courses (UGRD = 6; GRAD = 5)
- Title IV eligible as determined by the FAFSA
- Meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Have an official expected family contribution (EFC) between $0 – $10,000 or completed the secondary application by June 9
- Not receiving a senior citizen or faculty/staff/dependent waiver
- Incurred unanticipated COVID-19 related expenses including, for example, additional childcare, technology or moving expenses.
On May 8, 2020, Boise State University issued $600,500 in CARES Act HEER funds to 1201 students enrolled at least half time in Boise State courses in the summer semester. Future payments are planned for students enrolled in fall semesters.
|EFC Range||Summer Amount||Number of Recipients|
|EFC of $0||$500||461|
|EFC $3,001 - $5,576||$500||139|
|EFC $5,577 - $ 7,000||$500||80|
|EFC $7,001 - $10,000||$500||96|
|EFC $10,000 + with secondary application completed by June 9||$500||150|
The following communication was sent to CARES Act HEERF recipients via BroncoMail: CARES Email