Skip to main content

Welcome to First-Year Writing!

The Write Class (TWC) is the primary source for First-Year Writing course placement. The Write Class is an interactive online placement tool that assists you in deciding which course is the best fit during your first semester at Boise State.

For students whose first language is not English and/or an international student, you will be directed to The English Writing Assessment (EWA). The EWA is used to place you into the college writing course that will benefit you the most.

Note: All students must complete The Write Class, regardless of eligibility for receiving credit based on measures listed above. To receive credit for ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 based on ACT or SAT scores, students must complete the Receiving Credit for English Composition Based on Test Scores form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.

First-Year Writing Requirements

All students seeking a baccalaureate degree complete at least six credits in first-year writing. To successfully complete the First-Year Writing Requirement, you must complete ENGL 101 and 102 (or their equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher, or demonstrate writing proficiency as outlined below.

ENGL 101 WaivedSatisfactory score to place into ENGL 102 from The Write Class assessment tool.
ENGL 101 CreditAP Language and Composition score of 3 or 4; or a score of 5 or higher on the Higher-level IB English A Language and Literature Exam.
ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 CreditAP Language and Composition score of 5; or ACT English score of 31 or higher; SAT EBRW 730 or higher; or International Baccalaureate completion of the Diploma Programme.

Course Selection

Boise State University uses an online assessment tool, The Write Class, to place all students in the appropriate first-year writing course. Before your orientation session (and before you are able to register for a first-year writing course), you need to complete The Write Class. Results take up to 72 hours to process. You may need to access your results during your orientation session.

International and English as an Additional Language Students

If you are an international student attending Boise State on an F-1 student visa, you are required to take the English Writing Assessment (EWA). It is recommended that you take the EWA if you learned English as an additional language. For more information and to take the EWA, visit English Writing Assessment.

Transfer Students

If you have transferred English composition courses from another institution to Boise State, the Registrar’s Office will determine whether your courses satisfy all or part of the First-Year Writing Course Requirement. If you have further questions about first-year writing transfer equivalencies, please see the FAQs about Placement or contact us