Skip to main content

Arrival and Maintaining Status

You must meet with a Center for Global Engagement advisor as soon as possible upon your arrival at Boise State University.  Contact to schedule a check-in appointment.  We are located in the Simplot Micron Advising and Success Hub (SMASH) building.  At check-in, you must bring:

  • All immigration documents (DS-2019, etc.)
  • Your passport with visa
  • Proof of health insurance (for you and all dependents)
  • Current U.S. address and phone number

Local Resources

Maintaining J-1 Status

There are important rules that you have to follow while you are in the U.S. on a J-1 or J-2 visa.  U.S. Immigration calls this maintaining your status.

Maintaining J-1 status

If you will be traveling outside the U.S. during your J program then you will need specific documents to do so.

Travel Information

Exchange Visitor Program Contacts

U.S. Department of State

Office of Designation
Academic and Government Programs Division
ECA/EC/AG – SA-5, Floor 5
2200 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20522-0505

TEL: (202) 632-9310
FAX: (202) 632-2701

Exchange Visitor Program Website

Boise State University

Alternate Responsible Officers (ARO):, (208) 426-4285

Responsible Officer (RO): Ruth Prince,

Emergency / Safety

Dial 9-1-1 for immediate emergency service (ambulance, police).

Boise State University Campus Security: (208) 426-6911,

Campus Security