Skip to main content

Funding and Fellowships

Funding Graduate Education

In looking to fund your graduate education the first thing to look at is the information on the Graduate College website here: Scholarships and Fellowships

Below you will see additional opportunities or further explanation of some of the opportunities described at the Graduate College website.


Funding for the MA Educator Track and Idaho Teachers

  • Title II-A federal dollars are available in every district for professional development. Title II-A is called “Supporting Effective Instruction”.
  • There is also a smaller allocation given to school districts with lots of flexibility called Title IV-A “Student Support and Academic Enrichment”.
  • Descriptions for these programs and their allowable uses can be found at the state dept website under the “Federal Programs” link at
  • Every district adopts plans for how they will use these funds as part of their annual application for the funds.

More Funding for Educator Track and Idaho Teachers

For Secondary Education Teachers who wish to be certified to teach Concurrent Enrollment College Classes to High School students Boise State offers funding to attend Graduate Programs.  Completion of a History Graduate degree qualifies a secondary education teacher to teach concurrent enrollment classes.  Contact Boise State Concurrent Enrollment for more information or talk with the History Graduate Coordinator.

Western Regional Graduate Program

The History Graduate Program participates in WICHE, the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education and their Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP). WRGP is a tuition-discounting program. WRGP enables students from WICHE states (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming) to enroll in more than 400 participating graduate programs and pay the enrolling institution’s resident tuition rate, instead of the nonresident rate that an out-of-state student would normally pay.   At Boise State University we offer this opportunity on a competitive basis.  The History department will recommend a small number of WGRP awards based upon merit for outstanding applicants.  This recommendation goes to the Graduate College for a final decision.

Graduate Assistantships

The History Department periodically offers Graduate Assistantships to outstanding applicants. Awardees receive a full fee waiver and a yearly stipend of $9000 to $10,000, along with Health Benefits. This position is often awarded for 2 years. Graduate assistants (also known as Teaching Assistants or TAs) are also allotted office space, a mail box, and access to the copier!

Graduate Assistants (TAs) are assigned to a class one or two weeks before the beginning of the semester. During that period before class starts the Professor teaching the class and the TA discuss how the class will operate and the duties of the TA. Often those duties include grading, lecturing on occasion, preparation of class materials, research for the class, and collaboration. It can be a rewarding experience.

We also on occasion have Research Assistant  (RA) opportunities whenever one of our own faculty members receives a large grant for research.

All new applicants are considered for Graduate Assistantships with preference given to applications received by Jan. 15.

Discussion Group Leader – Graduate Assistant

The History Department periodically offers Discussion Group Leader (DGL) positions for graduate students. These positions are for the few University Foundations 100 (UF) classes taught by our history faculty. Each class requires a DGL to teach/lead 4 discussion sections attached to the class. DGL positions pay $11,000 for the semester (as of 2020) but offer no other benefits. Along with teaching the discussion sections, students will have grading duties but also may the opportunity to lecture in the regular class and generally help with the course design as a whole. The call for applicants will be in February (for fall) and May (for spring).

Departmental Travel Grants for Research

Our department offers small grants to graduate students of up to $1000 for travel related to research. This money can be spent on transportation, lodging, food, or copying etc. We will post notices in Spring for Travel Grants with the idea that the travel would take place during the summer (research time).

Boise State University, College of Arts and Sciences, and History Department Scholarships

The University, College of Arts and Sciences, and the History Department offer several scholarships for graduate students. They are handled through one outlet. These change often so please contact Boise State University Scholarships for more details. Look specifically for information for Graduate Students. DO NOT OVERLOOK these Opportunities!