John W. McChesney, Ph.D., LAT
Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology
John W. McChesney came to Boise State from the University of Oregon Institute of Neuroscience where he earned his doctorate in Neuromuscular Control in 1996 after five years in the Wollacott Motor Control Laboratory. Serving as a certified and licensed athletic trainer since 1984, McChesney has extensive experience in the evaluation and treatment of injuries to athletes as well as neuroscience. His work experiences have placed him in settings ranging from professional athletics to clinical medical practices to that of the federally funded research laboratory. His research interests lie in examining the sensory contributors tomotor performance and orthopedic rehabilitation.
In attempt to contribute to the fields of athletic training and neuroscience, McChesney has investigated questions related to human postural control, proprioception, and rehabilitation and has published in noteworthy journals such as Experimental Brain Research, the Journal of Gerontology, the Journal of Athletic Training, as well as the European Journal of Hand Surgery. While his duties are now focused on administration, McChesney maintains an active line of inquiry in neuroscience and continues to engage in creative writing
McChesney resides in the nearby city of Eagle with his wife Brandi and their two children, Shirley and Jack.
Ph.D. – 1996: University of Oregon (Neuromuscular Control/Neuroscience)
M.A. – 1984: Western Michigan University (Athletic Training)
B.A. – 1982: California State University, Chico (Physical Education)
- Nationally Certified Athletic Trainer (BOC# 000070273)
- Idaho Licensed Athletic Trainer (IBOM# AT-239)
The somatosensory contributions to motor performance and orthopedic rehabilitation.
- Hammons, D., McChesney, J.W., Curtin, M., Pfeiffer, R.., & Thiede, K. (2015) A Randomized and Blinded Study for the Treatment of Glenohumeral Internal Rotation Range of Motion Restriction: The Prone-Passive Stretching Technique. Journal of Sports Medicine and Allied Health Sciences. 1 (2) 1-9.
- DeBeliso, M., McChesney, J.W. & Murdock, L.E. (2013) Grip norms and reliability of the hand grip ForceMap system. Journal of Hand Surgery, European Volume, 6, 4-7.
- McChesney, J.W., DeBeliso, M. & Murdock. L.E. (2012) Clinical Orthopedic Device Innovation: The Anchored Ankle Brace & Full Leg Support System. International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations. 1 (11) 30-32.
- McChesney, J.W., DeBeliso, M. & Murdock, L.E. (2012) The Hand Grip ForceMAP System. International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations. 1 (8) 76-78.
- Ford, P., McChesney, J.W. (2007) Duration of maintained hamstring ROM following termination of three stretching protocols. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 16, 18-27.
- Halseth, T., McChesney, J.W., DeBeliso, M., Vaughn, R., & Lien, J. (2003) The Effects of Kinesio TapingTM on proprioception at the ankle. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 3, 1-7.
- McChesney, J.W. (2002). Balance testing benefits older adult athletes. Biomechanics. 9, (3), 29-37.
- McChesney, J.A. & McChesney, J.W. (2001). Auscultation of the chest and abdomen by athletic trainers. The Journal of Athletic Training. 36, 190-196.
- McChesney, J.W. & Woollacott, M.H. (2000). The effect of age related declines in proprioception and TKR on postural control. The Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 55A, M658-M666.
- McChesney, J.W., Sveistrup, H., & Woollacott, M.H. (1996). Influence of auditory precuing on automatic postural responses. Experimental Brain Research. 108, 315-320.
- KINES 324 Athletic Injury Evaluation